UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor cgrant
Visitor

petalinux-config --get-hw-description fails 2014.4

Jump to solution

I have a petalinux 2014.4 project that I want to configure with a Zynq processor system .hdf from my Vivado IPI block design. When I try to pull in the hdf using petalinux-config, I get the following failure from hw-description.tcl: 

XXXXXX@YYYYYY:~/$ petalinux-create -t project -n new_proj
INFO: Create project: new_proj
INFO: New project successfully created in <path_to_petalinux_proj>

XXXXXX@YYYYYY:~/<path_to_petalinux_proj>$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path>/<my_vivado_proj>/<my_vivado_proj>.sdk INFO: Checking component... INFO: Getting hardware description... INFO: Rename <my_vivado_proj>.hdf to system.hdf ****** hsi v **** SW Build 1071353 on Tue Nov 18 16:37:08 MST 2014 ** Copyright 1986-2014 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved. INFO: [Hsi 55-1698] elapsed time for repository loading 1 seconds source <path_to_petalinux_proj>/build/linux/hw-description/hw-description.tcl -notrace ERROR: [Common 17-55] 'get_property' expects at least one object. Resolution: If [get_<value>] was used to populate the object, check to make sure this comm and returns at least one valid object. while executing "get_property IP_NAME [get_cell "${s}"]" ("foreach" body line 3) invoked from within "foreach s [split ${cpuslaves}] { if { [lsearch -index 0 ${retslaves} "${s}"] < 0 } { set sipname [get_property IP_NAME [get_cell "${s}"]] l..." ("foreach" body line 32) invoked from within "foreach c [lreplace ${retcpus} 0 0] { set cpuname [lindex ${c} 0] set cpuarch [lindex [get_ip_property_info "arch" ${c}] 0] set cpukname [plnx_f..." (procedure "plnx_gen_hwsysconf" line 46) invoked from within "${tclproc} ${cmdline}" invoked from within "if { "[info procs ${tclproc}]" eq "${tclproc}"} { ${tclproc} ${cmdline} } else { error "proc ${tclproc} doesn't exit." }" (file "<path_to_petalinux_proj>/build/linux/hw-description/hw-description.tcl" line 1393) INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting hsi at Tue Apr 7 12:20:12 2015... make: *** [<path_to_petalinux_proj>/build/linux/Kconfig.syshw] Error 1 ERROR: Failed to generate System hardware Kconfig file.

My IPI project checks validation and builds into a bitfile just fine. Any thoughts on what might cause this error?

Thanks,

Cameron

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: petalinux-config --get-hw-description fails 2014.4

Jump to solution

@cgrant,

Thanks for sharing the hdf file.

I was able to reproduce the issue and this seems to be a known issue [Hardware export when an external port is created with ] in 2014.4  .

Refer to the Answer Record which discusses about the issue and the patch .

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63036.html

Please use the patch attached to above link and let us know if this fix the issue.

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Visitor cgrant
Visitor

Jump to solution

The previous time I used --get-hw-description for this project, it worked. I've learned that the thing that changed is an AHB interface bridge was added to the Zynq's AXI bus and set to external. Perhaps this AHB bus hanging off the block design is part of the issue? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Cameron,

Will you be able to share the Vivado project ?

Regards,
Achutha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do you have any "open" connections in the design?  By this, I mean things like interrupts that leave the embedded system and then re-enter later?  Basically, anything marked "make external" in IPI?

I've seen a couple of scenario recently where this causes the interrupt parsing done by the device tree generator to fail in ways similar to what you're seeing here.

If you have an HDF that can demonstrate the problem, please post it so that we can determine if that's the scenario you're falling into.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Visitor cgrant
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yes, I do have an AHB bus that leaves the embedded design. Having the external AHB bus seemed to work for ISE 14.7/petalinux 2013.10.

Attached is an example of what I did to recreate the issue with Vivado 2014.4 and petalinux 2014.4. I tried packaging my AHB slave and including it in the block design (I didn't show this in the attached test case). This seems to have resolved the issue with --get-hw-description. It's inconvenient to my tool flow to do this, but it works, so I'm glad that's the case.

Thanks for the notes and information!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@cgrant,

Thanks for sharing the hdf file.

I was able to reproduce the issue and this seems to be a known issue [Hardware export when an external port is created with ] in 2014.4  .

Refer to the Answer Record which discusses about the issue and the patch .

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63036.html

Please use the patch attached to above link and let us know if this fix the issue.

Regards,

Achutha

0 Kudos
Visitor cgrant
Visitor

Jump to solution

The patch solved the issue in my project. I have

vivado_version.png

this in my "About Vivado" dialog box after installing the patch. 

I then reopened my project and had to delete and re-create the external bus that was causing the problem. I had to make sure to re-map that new bus to the appropriate address in the Address Editor. After this petalinux-config --get-hw-description works! 

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@cgrant,

Thanks for testing the details and updating us.

Regards,

Achutha

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This issue is not fixed in 2015.1 as the answer record says. I cannot share the project.

0 Kudos