UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar pumaju1808
Scholar

petalinux vs bluecat

hi,

i want to know what is the difference between the linux distributions petalinux y bluecat??

Why Bluecat licensing is so expensive and why petalinux is free, bluecat is better than petalinux??  both are based in the same kernel right (2.6)?? they are different in the elaboration of drivers or in some applications ??

thanks for your response

best regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: petalinux vs bluecat

Petalinux is presently based on a more recent kernel than Blue Cat.  I couldn't say what the licencing of either product looks like.

-Brian

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

At the risk posting a shameless plug, you might want to check out the Avnet "Linux For MicroBlaze" Speedway course.  Check out the course description and contact your local Avnet FAE for more information.

The short answer is the big difference is support.  Part of what you pay for with the BlueCat distribution is someone on the other end of the phone when you call for support.  With PetaLinux phone support is not an option and your best bet for support is to sign up for the microblaze-uclinux email reflector.  Also, BlueCat is based on a 2.6.13 kernel and PetaLinux is based on a 2.6.30 kernel (I think - that might have changed).  PetaLinux stays much more current than BlueCat does.  There are reasons for that, but to go into them would make this short answer too long.

--Tom

0 Kudos

pumaju1808 wrote:

i want to know what is the difference between the linux distributions petalinux y bluecat??

Why Bluecat licensing is so expensive and why petalinux is free, bluecat is better than petalinux??  both are based in the same kernel right (2.6)?? they are different in the elaboration of drivers or in some applications ??

Hi Pumaju,

For the record -  I'm the founder and CEO of PetaLogix so you can guess which I think is better!

There are a number of technical differences between the two, but I think one of the most important is that PetaLinux was designed from the beginning to specifically target FPGA-based embedded design.

PetaLinux embraces the FPGA configurability and customizability, and includes tools to automate the development of custom BSPs for your boards.  We fully expect you to build your own BSPs, and provide tools to help you do so.

I cannot speak about BlueCat specifically, but I know that some commercial Embedded Linux vendors explicitly exclude support when you are using a non-standard BSP, or make you pay a large premium for it.  In my opinion this makes no sense when an FPGA is your platform.

I will talk here about PetaLinux SDK 1.1, which is officially launching next week.

• Spartan-6 and Virtex-6 support out of the box
  • Kernel - 2.6.31.6 (latest stable kernel)
  • glibc 2.3.6
  • Full-system software simulator - you can boot Linux on your system architecture in a software emulation environment, and start developing your software stack before your boards are ready
  • Automated BSP-generation tools to simplify Linux bringup on your hardware
  • Personalised support from deep Embedded Linux/MicroBlaze/FPGA experts.

You can read more about PetaLinux SDK here:  http://www.petalogix.com/petalinux

That's enough commercial talk from me - feel free to contact me directly john.williams@petalogix.com if you would like to know more.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos