Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

porting linux kernel on ppc440

Jump to solution

Hi,

I m unable to download this link, plz help me or provide me below content.

The following command gets the kernel tree from the Xilinx Git server.

bash> git clone git://git.xilinx.com/linux-2.6-xlnx.git

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vneethv
Participant
Participant

1. Never tried any red hat kernel..but i could port linux 2.6.35 from kernel.org

2.  U can use the 10.1 EDK in ur windows machine. u gotta generate the device tree file (for that u have to install device tree generator from the wikidot website); other than this..u have to setup a cross compiler..

3. what all are the devices u wanna work with in ml507 ? i think almost all devices in ml507 has the default driver in linux.

4. U dont have to do any partition !

i dont know if there's any application note by xilinx/ or any site which describes step by step linux porting..!

the main things to be done..

1. u need to install the cross compiler for powerpc 440

2. download the kernel using git

3. Generate the device tree file from ur windows EDK 10.1

4. copy the xilinx.dts file to arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ file in the kernel source

5. Create a simpleImage ( this is better for a start) (get information about this @ /Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of) & download the elf file generated to the board.!

else follow the wikidot site procedures..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vneethv
Participant
Participant

what's the error u r getting there ? 

hope u've installed git in ur machine..

http://xilinx.wikidot.com/using-git

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Actually I dont have much idea about Porting , its a work assigned to me , here somebody replied that this link http://xilinx.wikidot.com/powerpc-linux it was given in that , for getting the kernel we have to give this command.Still I m nt able to install git.Plz guide me How cn I ?I will be very thankful to u.

One more confusion is there , this porting I have to do with edk, so that above link  will be for window based edk or on linux platform.

I m working with window based EDK.I m giving commands in edk shell,so if m going correctly.

Hope I m able to explain my problems.

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Besides the good information on wikidot, you may find this useful:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1107.pdf (Getting Started Using Git)

It is probably fair to say that our documentation here assumes some existing familiarity with both embedded Linux and FPGA-based embedded processing/EDK individually.

bt

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello sir, I have read that page on wiki, ya its useful, But I need to know these , I m using windows based EDK10.1.02-

1) which red hat linux kernel is compactible to port on (virtex4 ML507 ) ppc440?

2) Wht all software we need to download ?

3)If in linux we require to download drivers for virtex5 ml507 board , if yes then what all drivers required?

4) If for porting we have to create partition on PPC440 , if so hw can we create.

I also need to knw proper steps to do porting.

Plz help me ............

0 Kudos
vneethv
Participant
Participant

1. Never tried any red hat kernel..but i could port linux 2.6.35 from kernel.org

2.  U can use the 10.1 EDK in ur windows machine. u gotta generate the device tree file (for that u have to install device tree generator from the wikidot website); other than this..u have to setup a cross compiler..

3. what all are the devices u wanna work with in ml507 ? i think almost all devices in ml507 has the default driver in linux.

4. U dont have to do any partition !

i dont know if there's any application note by xilinx/ or any site which describes step by step linux porting..!

the main things to be done..

1. u need to install the cross compiler for powerpc 440

2. download the kernel using git

3. Generate the device tree file from ur windows EDK 10.1

4. copy the xilinx.dts file to arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ file in the kernel source

5. Create a simpleImage ( this is better for a start) (get information about this @ /Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of) & download the elf file generated to the board.!

else follow the wikidot site procedures..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks sir for ur help,

I m working in red hat linux 5(2.6.18.53), I created the Kernel Image in the same.

Actually , I download every possible softwares from git,I m following "Getting Started with Git", They given how to create kernel image, and port it in ppc440.

1) I install git

2) Download : linux-2.6.xlnx,device -tree,iso file etc.

3) install ELDK

4)Lastly I created image.

Is whatever image I created is correct one ?

I dont have EDK installed on Linux , can the porting work nw done using windows EDK.

At the time of image building, files are also copied to certain directories of linux line opt,etc, home .

Then Is it possible to copy that image file and continue porting work in Windows EDK.

So how can I now move forwarded ?

0 Kudos