cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

run hwicap application on linux running on FPGA(ML507)

Hello,

The simple application to initilize hwicap is running successfully on Edk12.2, how can we run the same application on linux.As whatever application we are running , first we are compiling with ELDK then trasfer to ramdisk of linux,ELDK support to run icap program???

how can I run icap application ?????????

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You'll need to write an application for Linux that uses the h/w icap driver.  I haven't personally done it, but I doubt it's the same application code as for stand alone.

Once you write the app, compile it with ELDK tools, put it on the ramdisk and test.  If you don't know Linux you'll have a lot to learn so don't expect to do this without some effort.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for reply sir,I written application for hwicap , its simple hardware initilzation in stanalone, its working perfectly but when I change the OS as linux_2.6 it doesnt work.I seen your forums related to this problem, regarding H/W ICAP .I have found my icap device in proc , same I dont find icap in /dev thats the problem , I manually created icap in /dev , I written a simple program to open this device but its doent find this .

Error: No device found.

In every forums they are saying cp foo.bit /dev/icap what is foo.bit?Plz give me some hints so that I can go forward.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello sir,

thanks u replied, in C application mainly we write appication can we write linux coding there???.May be I m not able to keep my problem clearly.ya device drivers are needed for linux, but in the kernel source linux-2.6.34, already drivers are given to support Xilinx HwIcap (it is in linux/drivers/char/xilinx_HwIcap) all the files are given.I need to make them compatible or still different drivers I need to write?

I hope I am able to explain my problem, plz give me any idea so that I can go forward.????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to find the ICAP driver in the Xilinx Linux distribution at:

<linux>/drivers/char/xilinx_hwicap/

The applcation is as simple as

* open /dev/icap0

* Open the bitstream and copy to buffer

* write bitstream data

However, I have a problem to report. The bitstream for my FPGA (a Virtex 6) is about 9 MB in size and creating a character buffer 9 MB large causes a segfault. Any ideas or work around ?

RRS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Doesn't 

$> cat File.bit > /dev/icap0

Work? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I also tried he same to run my .bit file using icap,but this command will run only one time.If we try to run it again then it shows ICAP busy.So we have to write a program to run our .bit file using ICAP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi,

Not sure if you are trying to download the HW bitstream of your project via ICAP, that bitstream is huge, that's why someone reported a segmentation fault, and if you download it I assume you initialize again all the hardware, and you end up loosing your linux. Also the ICAP expects to have the bitstream to be word aligned (32 bits) so it will detect the sync word. For Virtex 5, read document UG191, chapter 6. If not aligned, nobody knows the effect. ICAP is preferred to be used for Partial Reconfiguration.

Regards,

Aurelio

0 Kudos