UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant miner_tom
Participant

ultra96 won't boot with petalinux "pre-built". Does boot with factory image

Jump to solution

I'm looking for a starting point for the debug process. I have a Ultra96 Dev board, v2, which works with the factory sd card image. The  factory image is one file with a .img extension ultra96v2_oob_2018_3_190530.img. Using Etcher to flash the sd card with the image seems to work fine. The "done" led lights and I can "talk" to the board.

Using Petalinux I have compiled a new BOOT.BIN, (I'm assuming that is a first state bootloader), image.ub (perhaps a second state bootloader?) and a kernel image rootfs.ext4. I used the board support file xilinx-ultra96-reva-v2018.2-final.bsp. The Vivado SDK and the Petalinux are all version 2018.2, running on Ubuntu 16.04.5, as described below.

I followed directions given here:https://www.96boards.org/documentation/consumer/ultra96/ultra96-v1/build/peta-linux.md.html

as well as those given here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-Started-With-PetaLinux/

BOOT.BIN and image.ub were loaded in the sdcard /dev/sdx1, while the rootfs.ext4 was loaded in /dev/sdx2. Both partitions were properly created, labled and mounted.

The result is that the blue "done" LED on the board would not light.

So, then I want to the "pre-built" directory in the petalinux project that I had created, deleted the old BOOT.BIN and image.ub from /dev/sdx1 and loaded the BOOT.BIN and image.ub from the "pre-built" directory.

Same result. No done light.

One small difference is that I used a 32 GB sdcard. I had tested that sdcard by loading the factory image on it and running it with success. On the 32 GB card, I created /dev/sdx1 at 1GB and /dev/sdx2 at 14 GB.

The bottom line is that I have not been able to boot the board with anything other than the factory image.

What would be a good next step for debug?

Thank You

Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant miner_tom
Participant

Re: ultra96 won't boot with petalinux "pre-built". Does boot with factory image

Jump to solution

Evidently I had been using the wrong BSP for the ultra96V2. The correct BSP was posted just yesterday. I did a Petlinux compile and the board booted find.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Do you see anything on the serial port when booting? 

0 Kudos
Participant miner_tom
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

No, I see nothing on the serial port when booting BOOT.BIN, and I have tried.  When booting from the factory image I can eventually log in via the serial port.

I have attempted to boot prebuilt via jtag "petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3", from within a petalinux project, with the boot switches set as indicated to "jtag" as required. I sourced "settings.sh". Also, I had a putty serial communications port active, but it resulted in the following:

INFO: Launching XSDB for file download and boot.
INFO: This may take a few minutes, depending on the size of your image.
rlwrap: warning: your $TERM is 'xterm-256color' but rlwrap couldn't find it in the terminfo database. Expect some problems.: Inappropriate ioctl for device
INFO: Configuring the FPGA...                                                                                                                                                                 
INFO: Downloading bitstream to the target.
No supported FPGA device found

I see nothing on the comm port display.

Tom

0 Kudos
Participant miner_tom
Participant

Jump to solution

Evidently I had been using the wrong BSP for the ultra96V2. The correct BSP was posted just yesterday. I did a Petlinux compile and the board booted find.

0 Kudos