UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

what does bsp contain?

Highlighted
Adventurer

what does bsp contain?

Hallo everyone,

I have build a petalinux project use zcu102 BSP. But I'm confused, what does a BSP contain? Drivers, memory accress?

For example the IP "zynq Ultrascale+ mpsoc" in vivado has four ethernet ports, which one is actived if I use BSP?

Thanks for reply and forgive me for my bad english...

Holzmann

Re: what does bsp contain?

There are two ways to create a project in Petalinux:

create_project -t project --template zynqMP --name linux_project

This will create a template for the zynq ultrascale device. The user can then use the command below

to set the configurations based on their HDF that is created when exporting the SDK from Vivado.

petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to hdf>

The HDF will contain all the HW info in your block design in Vivado. This will be used to create the dvicetree.

However, since this uses the HDF, and the HDF only contains the HW info of the devices in your BD, tjen if user has a PHY,

or I2C devices external to the device, then these would need to be added to the system-user.dtsi in the petalinux project.

This will also enable some kernel params for drivers used in the HDF.

However, with the BSP, this is "board aware", so the system-user.dtsi is already populated with the node info on the external devices. It will also set the partition info for the flash. Also, there is some board info passed to the fsbl to reset the phy and set up some clocks.

If you are using a ZCU102, I would recommend starting with the BSP, and if you make some 

changes to your HDF, then just use the petalinux-config --get-hw-description to pass in your HDF.

Adventurer

Hallo @stephenm

Thanks for reply!

As far as I know, two parts of BSP are HDF and Bitstream.

I have successfully created a petalinux project, and boot from sd card, it works. And I can use ethernet ports of the board.

And now I want to create a IP design in vivado, which will make the PL to read data from DDR.

So It means, that after I created a petalinux project using bsp, I'm still allowed to use my OWN hdf,right?

Thanks a lot

Adventurer

@stephenm

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-10-12 11-19-02.png

And I can't find my board when I use vivado. The part of my zcu102 board is xczu9eg-ffvb1156-1-e-es1, so when I use part "xczu9eg-ffvb1156-1-e-es1" to create a project and export HDF, it fails.

The flow you woukd need is:

• petalinux-create -t project -s <path to bsp>.bsp
  • cd <petalinux project?
  • petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to hdf>
  • rm -rf components/plnx_workspace
  • petalinux-build
Adventurer

Hallo, @stephenm

it failed.

===================================

ERROR: pmu-firmware-0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0 do_deploy: Function failed: do_deploy (log file is located at /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/pmu-firmware/0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0/temp/log.do_deploy.1253)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/pmu-firmware/0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0/temp/log.do_deploy.1253

===================================

I think the reason is , that in vivado I'm using part"xczu9eg-ffvb1156-1-e-es1" instead of board ultrascale+, which contains part "xczu9eg-ffvb1156-1-e-es1" .

In vivado 2016.4 the part of ultrascale+ is "xczu9eg-ffvb1156-2-i-es2", which is different to my board.

Is it possiable to change the supported board in vivado?

Thanks a lot

can you do a petalinux-build -x mrproper, then petalinux-build

Adventurer

Hallo, @stephenm

I tried it. New errors

==================================================================

install: cannot stat '/home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/board/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/../components/plnx_workspace/fsbl/Release/fsbl.elf': No such file or directory
| WARNING: /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/board/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/fsbl/0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0/temp/run.do_deploy.27580:1 exit 1 from 'install -m 0644 /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/board/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/../components/plnx_workspace/fsbl/Release/fsbl.elf /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/board/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/fsbl/0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0/deploy-fsbl/fsbl-plnx_aarch64.elf'
| ERROR: Function failed: do_deploy (log file is located at /home/zzh4hi/petalinux_bsp_hdf_together/board/xilinx-zcu102-2016.4/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/fsbl/0.2+xilinx+gitAUTOINC+ef07b552f4-r0/temp/log.do_deploy.27580)
ERROR: Task 127 (/home/zzh4hi/petalinux/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/meta-xilinx-tools/recipes-fsbl/fsbl/fsbl_git.bb, do_deploy) failed with exit code '1'

===================================================================

Thanks for reploy

Observer jrp
Observer

- Kudos for Not really answering the question.

If you would like to know what is inside your Xilinx .bsp file, simply do the following for example...

1. cp   My_BSP.bsp   to   My_BSP.bsp.tar.gz

2. tar zxvf   My_BSP.bsp.tar.gz

Your Welcome