UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Counter/Timer in Vivado or in VHDL

Hello everyone,

I have a Zedboard and I just want to implement a counter/timer in vivado or by my self in VHDL to measure the time for a led flash cycle.

It shall beginn counting after for example LED1 gets on and shall stop when LED1 gets off. Moreover it shall show the state from one task switching to another task.

Are there any examples or any ideas how to realize is or also more elegant ideas?

Thanks

tdirksens

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Counter/Timer in Vivado or in VHDL

@tdirksens how do you propose to detect the led being on and off ? Do you have an external light sensor which you can use?

Assuming that you have such a circuit connected to your system, you can use the axi timer IP in capture mode (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_timer/v2_0/pg079-axi-timer.pdf) to accomplish what you want.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Counter/Timer in Vivado or in VHDL

@muzaffer no in software for example I create an app 1 which runs for a while and for this while the led 1 is on.

when task 1 ends led 1 goes off and task 2 starts. when task 2 starts led 2 is turned on and task 2 is running..

don't have any component or circuits which measure or check if the led is really on.

0 Kudos