UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jsil
Visitor

Error while launching commad: gdb --version

Jump to solution

Hi.

I'm using EDK tool in a Windows XP environment and an AVNET LXT150T Spartan-6 kit. I compiled a very basic LED set code like this:

int main()

{

XGpio led; // LED declaration

XGpio_Initialize(&led, XPAR_LEDS_DEVICE_ID);

XGpio_SetDataDirection(&led,0,0);

while(1)

{

XGpio_DiscreteWrite(&led,0,0x55);

}

return 0;

}

Compilation and FPGA programming was ok but when I tried to debug I got the error message: "Error while launching commad: gdb --version"

Does anyone have a hint?

Thanks so much

Joao

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Error while launching commad: gdb --version

Jump to solution

The Local C/C++ Application is a standard button in the Eclipse toolchain, which will call the machines local gdb which can be set up under Project -> Debug configurations. This would be for third party devices/debugging.

This would explain why the gdb version is being found as incorrect.

Launching on Hardware is a Xilinx Specific debug, which will use the powerpc-eabi-gdb or the mb-gdb. This option will call the correct debug with the correct options on the correct Xilinx hardware.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

The Local C/C++ Application is a standard button in the Eclipse toolchain, which will call the machines local gdb which can be set up under Project -> Debug configurations. This would be for third party devices/debugging.

This would explain why the gdb version is being found as incorrect.

Launching on Hardware is a Xilinx Specific debug, which will use the powerpc-eabi-gdb or the mb-gdb. This option will call the correct debug with the correct options on the correct Xilinx hardware.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Visitor jsil
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the explanation. Yet could you, please, be some more specific? I'm using MicroBlase in EDK tool. What should I set in order to use mb-gdb as recommended by you?

Thanks and best regards

João

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you want to debug via GDB or can you use SDK to do this?

What do you see when you type the command mb-gdb -v in the command prompt?

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Can you try running it on Hardware as an option and see if the issue persists?

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie gilgoldman

Jump to solution

If this error is cause by using the standard eclipse debugger, how can we fix it?
If we want to debug a local C++ application on our laptop, not on a target hardware, this is the only debugger that's available out of the box, no?

0 Kudos