UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Simultaneous SDK and Hardware Manager debugging as in UG940 does not work

Accepted Solution Solved
Observer
Accepted Solution

Simultaneous SDK and Hardware Manager debugging as in UG940 does not work

I am running Vivado 2013.4 and SDK 2013.1 (14.5). I am attempting to run the logic analysis and software debugging at the same time as detailed in the Xilinx UG940 document.  I am using a ZC706 board with a Digilent Cable. I changed the JTAG settings to Digilent USB per AR55431.

I can run the SDK debugger without error if the Hardware Manager is not connected. I can run the Hardware manager by itself without error. I would like to be able to step through code on SDK and view waveforms in Vivado at the same time.  

If I follow the instructions in UG940, when I "Open a New Hardware Target" from Vivado, the SDK debugger terminates the SDK debug session. This is not what happens in UG940.

If I then attempt to restart the debugger from SDK, I get this error:

Connection to Board Failed

Failed to Open JTAG Cable

Unknown Error

It look like a cable driver/connection problem of some sort.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Thanks

Russ Smith

Accepted Solutions
Observer

Re: Simultaneous SDK and Hardware Manager debugging as in UG940 does not work

Elvis:

That fixed my problem. I ran the Vivado update from the Vivado GUI, and it did not automatically update my SDK to 2013.4.

I tried updating just the SDK from the Xilinx Download site, but setup.exe did not run correctly after un-zipping it.

I then downloaded the entire Vivado/SDK from the Xilinx Download site. This installed correctly.

Thanks

Russ Smith

View solution in original post

All Replies
Observer

I am able to "manually" connect and debug using gdb and the instructions here:

http://www.zedboard.org/content/manual-debugging

I will miss the eclipse debugging gui though...

I guess I am setting something wrong in the Debug Run Configuration. I have no idea what.

At least I can now run a code debugger and the vivado logic analyzer simultaneously.

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi Russ,

I was able to run all the steps outlined in UG940 v2013.4 about 2 weeks ago, with no issues.

In your initial email, you mentioned that you've mixed up Vivado and SDK versions, using an older version of the SDK. I would highly recommend that you use the SDK v2013.4, i.e. the version supplied with Vivado 2013.4. I've noticed one or two new features added to v2013.4 that was not there in earlier versions, and I think it's safe to assume that target level debugging and integration would be improved upon, with each SDK release.

The OS, driver and BSP templates are more upto date with the newer SDK releases. If you mix and match Vivado versions with older SDK versions, you will end up with a situation where the exported hardware calls for a newer version of an IP core or bare-metal OS, and result in SDK will not be able to supply drivers with the correct version.

Prior to launching the elf file on the target, ensure that you have Enabled Cross Triggering support , in the Debugger Options tab, as shown on page 70, UG940 v2013.4.

Which platform are you using for the host OS? I prefer to use Linux. I am currently using Ubuntu-12.10 64-bit, which is not officially supported, but works. I can share a setup guide for installing a development environment for the ZC702 if you would like. I'm testing RedHat-6.5 now, because I need to distribute the workload across multiple machines, to reduce synthesis times for my projects. Distributed synthesis doesn't work on Ubuntu.

Additionally, I've found that using an USB 3.0 port with the Diligent USB JTAG cable tends to be faster for programming the FPGA and downloading application images to the ZC702.

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

Observer

Elvis:

Thanks for the reply. I only recently downloaded the 2013.4 version of Vivado, and was not aware that the SDK upgrade was included. I will try to find and run that version, and let you know what happens.

Thanks Again

Russ Smith

Observer

Elvis:

That fixed my problem. I ran the Vivado update from the Vivado GUI, and it did not automatically update my SDK to 2013.4.

I tried updating just the SDK from the Xilinx Download site, but setup.exe did not run correctly after un-zipping it.

I then downloaded the entire Vivado/SDK from the Xilinx Download site. This installed correctly.

Thanks

Russ Smith