UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

on ZedBoard, PL = FPGA ?

Jump to solution

hello,

i have a little question, can we say that we have an FPGA on ZedBoard ?

we know that ZedBoard based on Xilinx chip, which also based on 2 ARM Cortex A9 , and a PL

but can we use the PL as an FPGA ?

thank you

My blog : www.xilinx-video.blogspot.com
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: on ZedBoard, PL = FPGA ?

Jump to solution
Hi gma-87,

There is no disadvantage/harm in combining PS with PL.

Infact its and advantage; had it been a disadvantage, Xilinx on first hand wouldn't have designed it. :-)

What is your application? Are you planning to use both PS &PL in you design or just PL alone?

I think referring to Zynq TRM (UG585) will help you in getting a clear understanding on Zynq and its advantages.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution

Yes, it is an fpga (Kintex 7 Artix fabric)

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

hello, 

i think it's Artix 7 , no ?

any way, if it's an FPGA, is there any disatvantage to combine it with processor ( PS ) ?

thank you

My blog : www.xilinx-video.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, the PL part is equivalent to a Xilinx FPGA. For Zed Board (XC7Z020T-1CSG324) it is Artix-7.

For more information Check Pg 3 Tabe 1 - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds190-Zynq-7000-Overview.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi gma-87,

There is no disadvantage/harm in combining PS with PL.

Infact its and advantage; had it been a disadvantage, Xilinx on first hand wouldn't have designed it. :-)

What is your application? Are you planning to use both PS &PL in you design or just PL alone?

I think referring to Zynq TRM (UG585) will help you in getting a clear understanding on Zynq and its advantages.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

As you rightly pointed out, PL is fpga fabric. As earlier mentioned by other contributors, its Artix-7 FOR Zed board.

PL can be used for any additional logic other than your PS and its peripherals. You can use it to add your custom peripherals.

There are some example in the zed website.

http://www.zedboard.org/content/creating-custom-peripheral

http://zedboard.org/content/creating-base-zynq-design-vivado-ipi-20132

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

In the PS there are some dedicated periphreals along with the Cortex-A9 Processors. So depending on your application/design, you can integrate your custom IP's in the PL along with the PS. 

If you have nothing to be implemented in the PL of Zynq, then you pretty much have the Cortex-A9 processor's and their dedicated peripherals.

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos