cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g.pavlikh
Participant
Participant

10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem, LPM mode

I had some issues with bad RX frames in 10G mode with my design on xcku060-ffva1156-1-c, and after some search I found advice to use LPM mode (mentioned in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/Bad-frames-due-to-FCS-error-in-10G-MAC/td-p/560067 ).
I've updated Vivado to 2019.1 and checked 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem v3.0 core. It has RX Equalization Mode setting, so at first I generated core with Auto mode, checked it for presence of RX errors, then generated core with LPM mode and checked it. Sadly, RX errors rate became worse. I compared sources for this two cores, and found some odds:

1. According to UG576, "To switch from DFE to LPM mode, set RXLPMEN = 1".
2. This pin is located in \ip_0\synth\gtwizard_ultrascale_v1_7_gthe3_common.v file. Its value depends on two parameters GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_TIE_EN and GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_VAL and one input port GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN by this equation:

if (GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_TIE_EN == 1'b1)
assign GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_int = {NUM_CHANNELS{GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_VAL}};
else
assign GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_int = {NUM_CHANNELS{GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN}};

3. If we follow GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN port, we go through these files:
\ip_0\synth\corename_gt_gthe3_channel_wrapper.v
\ip_0\synth\corename_gt_gtwizard_gthe3.v
\ip_0\synth\corename_gt_gtwizard_top.v
\ip_0\synth\corename_gt.v
\corename\corename_wrapper.v

In last file we have this assignment in both cores, Auto and LPM:
assign rxlpmen_in_0 = 1'b0;

4. Parameter GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_VAL is defined in corename_gt_gthe3_channel_wrapper.v file and it is different for Auto and LPM mode - 0 for Auto and 1 for LPM.
5. But parameter GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_TIE_EN is zero in both cores.

As I think, the idea behind RX Equalization Mode was to control it by GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_VAL parameter, but someone forgot to change GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_TIE_EN accordingly.
After manual change of GTHE3_CHANNEL_RXLPMEN_TIE_EN to 1 RX errors was eliminated.

I've also checked 40G/50G Ethernet Subsystem v2.5 core - it has similar error, LPM mode is always disabled.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guozhenp
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

OK.

So after you enabled LPM successfully, the code errores are solved?

It sounds great and is very useful to other engineers.

Do you have any more question?

0 Kudos
g.pavlikh
Participant
Participant

We are still evaluating 40G core.

10G core is working fine with mentioned changes, but we are using only short cables, something like 5 meters.

0 Kudos