UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer pcross
Observer

10G Ethernet MAC IP Producing Underruns on Transmit

Hello,

I am working with the 10G Ethernet MAC IP block and the assosciated 10G Ethernet PCS/PMA. I'm attempting to perform a simple loopback between Rx and Tx. Between the m_axis_rx and s_axis_tx ports I have placed 2 FIFOs running in packet mode with 2048 words of space (plenty for the single packet test I am running). Sadly this is failing to loop the data back. I have also placed System ILA probes on these AXI stream connections, all 4 of the xgmii_* ports, and the rx/tx statistics vectors.

Now what do I see. Looking at the AXI stream going into s_axis_tx I observe what looks to be a perfectly valid transmission of data with a single clock cycle delay where the 10G Ethernet MAC block pulled TREADY low but the FIFO acted accordingly. This should be valid. Looking at the tx_statistics vector when the ready signal is HIGH I observe bit 3 set which according to Table 2-12 of pg072 implies "Asserted if the previous frame transmission was terminated due to an underrun error." Looking at xgmii_txd and txc I can see that 2 words before the transmission has finished the code FE FE FE FE... is sent which according to the docs means "ERROR". Again though looking at the AXI stream going into s_axis_tx I see the full contents of the packet with no signaling errors so I don't understand why 10G MAC has declared this packet (and every other one) as underrun.

Any advice on why this might happen would be greatly appreciated. Looking at "Aborting a Transmission" I only find problems that stem from the AXI stream and problems I do not observe in my ILA scope.

Screenshot from 2018-12-12 14-14-56.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer pcross
Observer

Re: 10G Ethernet MAC IP Producing Underruns on Transmit

For any who fall into a similar problem a direct loopback between Rx and Tx is not always possible. I'm not sure why but in my 7 Series design this method functioned. When moving to UltraScale however it seems the tuser pin on tx_axis_tuser is checked more closely. I changed that pin to be hard tied to GND and all works well now.