Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

10G PCS PMA multiple core instance

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to use more than four PCS/PMA IP core, so my design require more than a single QUAD of transceivers. I follow the 10G Ethernet PCS/PMA v6.0 LogiCORE IP Product Guide  (pg068), wich says in that case I have to generate all the core instances with  Include Shared Logic in example design. The product guide writes: " The shared logic should then be manually edited to create the correct structure of the IBUFDS, GT_COMMON and GT_CHANNEL blocks.". I've got a few problems with the COMMON block. I generate an example design in an other project with an IP core with same settings and Itry to figure out, how can I write a COMMON block. But in the example design this block seems like an other IP core, so it doesn't help it so much. ( Also the BUFFERs of the example design are usefull and I use those in my project.)

So my question: How can I make a COMMON block, or more COMMON blocks if it necessary for my 10G PCS PMA multiple core instance project? Or something is wrong with my design flow? Should I generate the IP cores with different options? Or can I generate somehow a COMMON block after the PCS IP Core has been generated?

I use Vivado 2017.1 and a Xilinx UltraScale Kintex FPGA.

Thanks,

floorbalint

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: 10G PCS PMA multiple core instance

Jump to solution

There is only one COMMON block per quad and there is only 1 IBUFDS_GTE* per reference clock input.  Your design has likely instantiated 2 and tried to place them in the same spot. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

You need only one common block for Quad and the gt common module file can be found in the example design files when shared logic in example design is selected.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi!

Thanx for the reply! I try to implement my design as You said. I create two PCS with Shared logic in example design, and after I copyed the COMMON block's files to the project and I instantiates it and connect the ports as in the example design. I connect all the qpll0 wires as the same as in the example, but the vivado says it can not place the qpll0outclk and qpll0outrefclk signals. 

How should I place the common block?

Thanks,

floorbalint

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

There is only one COMMON block per quad and there is only 1 IBUFDS_GTE* per reference clock input.  Your design has likely instantiated 2 and tried to place them in the same spot. 

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank You for the replys!  Things getting clearer!

Regards,

floorbalint

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

So if for example I implement 3 quad, I generate a total of 12 pcs/pma cores , and then I need to create 3 seperate COMMON blocks (one for each quad), and then I share outputs from each common block to 4 pcs/pma cores on the same quad.

however, I think I also need the shared clock and reset block also? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes, I think so

0 Kudos