Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Artix 7 10G/1G Ethernet and SFP+

Hi guys,

I am looking to operate a 10 Gbit ethernet link using an Artix 7. After trolling through Xilinx documentation, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot instantiate a MAC and PHY core and use the GTP to directly connect to the SFP+ to send 10 Gbit data...is this a correct statement? If not, why, which ip core would work?

In the trolling, I came to the realization the the GTP transceivers on the Artix 7 support up to 6.6 Gbps and I should be able to send XGMII data to an external PHY device to send data over SFP+ at 10 Gbps. I began looking for such a device, but haven't found one. If this is possible, I assume one exists and has been widely used. What PHY chip has worked for you or would you all recommend. 

Another option for me is to transmit 1Gbps data over the SFP+ connector; really I am constrained to an SFP+ connector @ 1 or 10 Gbps. In researching 1 Gbps ethernet for the Artix 7 I found that I don't have to use an external PHY, I can connect the TEMAC core to the ETHERNET 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA core which should connect directly to my SFP+ connector...is this correct?  In the SFF-8431 MSA, I noticed that SFP+ should work @ 1 Gbps, but most SFP+ transceivers operate at 10 Gbps. Have any of you all used or know of a good 1 Gbps SFP+ transceiver that I could connect to the Artix 7?

Thanks so much,

Nick

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix 7 10G/1G Ethernet and SFP+

Hi NIck,

Yes you cannot use the 10GBASE_R/KR(PHY cores) in ARTIX 7 as the MAX Line rate of GTP is 6.6Gbps

Using the ETHERNET 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA core  in 1000Base_x configuration you can directly connect to the SFP+ Connector with out an external Phy.

We don't have particular recommendations for the SFP+ modules any  part that meets your data rate can be used.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

You can also consider the XAUI option.

Refer below links for the XAUI core and the Marvell PHY

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xaui/v10_4/pg053-xaui.pdf

http://www.marvell.com/transceivers/assets/Marvell-Alaska-X-88X201x-PHY.pdf

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Isn't XFI different from SFI? Does that Marvell PHY work with SFP+?

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

If I were to use the 100BASE-X PCS/PMA core to do 1 Gigabit Ethernet, must I interface it with the GTP transceiver or can I use any user io bank?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

--Isn't XFI different from SFI? Does that Marvell PHY work with SFP+?

Yes there is difference between XFI and SFI an you only want to use SFP+

Check if below link helps

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/8727-PB00-R.pdf

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

--If I were to use the 100BASE-X PCS/PMA core to do 1 Gigabit Ethernet, must I interface it with the GTP transceiver or can I use any user io bank? 

Yes you need to use the GTP transceiver to use the 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA core to transmit 1G data,user IO is not possible .

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi all,

in the 10G Ethernet MAC v15.1 datasheet it is mentioned that the supported devices are also Artix7 (Table 4-2: Supported Speed Grades).

How is this possible? This is a 6.6 Gbps transceivers.

Regards,

Panos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

10G Ethernet MAC v15.1 doesn't use any transceivers and Artix 7 devices can support this core.

This is an issue when you use the 10G Ethernet PCS/PMA (10GBASE-R/KR) core which requires transceiver to be operated 10G Line rate.

So you can either use the 10GMAC core and an external PHY  or 10GMAC core with XAUI in ARTIX 7 devices(Xaui uses

Uses four transceivers at 3.125 Gb/s line rate to achieve 10-Gb/s data rate)

Regards,

Satish