UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aurora Core on ML605 evaluation boards

I am using two ML605 boards to verify GTX connection at X0Y18. First, I test IBERT core on these boards. It works fine when the cable loop back to the same board. When connecting board to board, it has about 2% error rate and link drop frequently. Xilinx FAE tested the boards and concluded the board has defects and replaced them with two working boards. These two new boards work fine with IBERT core. However, when I tested Aurora core which uses same location X0Y18, 1 -lane duplex channel, the similar symptom happened again. It works perfect when cable loop back to the same boards. When connecting board to board, "channel up", "lane up" and "hard error" are toggling. "tx_lock_i_i" is asserted and "pll_not_locked_i" is deasserted. The problem looks to me is more like hardware defect. Do you have any idea what's wrong? Is there any way to work around the problem? 

Chipscope with Aurora core.bmp
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Aurora Core on ML605 evaluation boards

When you ran the IBERT tests between the two boards, did you determine the best settings for the TX output swing, pre-emphasis and RX equalizer?

These values should be used with the GTX blocks that make up the Aurora core for optimal results.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried the other way around. I copied Aurora settings to IBERT. IBERT link is always stable. The settings I changed are in the following sections.

TX Driver and OOB signaling

RX Decision Feedback Equalizer

RX Driver,OOB signalling,Coupling and Eq.,CDR

The only thing made big different is TXDRIVE_LOOPBACK_HIZ and TXDRIVE_LOOPBACK_PD in "TX Driver and OOB Signalling" section. In Aurora core, these two attributes are "FALSE", but it is "TRUE" in IBERT. If the settings change to "FALSE" in IBERT, the link losses right away. However, if I put "TRUE" in Aurora core, the "channel_up" and "lane_up"  never assert. I can't find any definition of these two attributes in "V6 GTX Receiver User Guide". Are these two attributes the problem? Besides these two attributes, I can't find any settings difference for the TX output swing, pre-emphasis and RX equalizer.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

First check the length of the SMA cables, lay them flat and make sure that they are the same

If the RX AC coupling is on then turn it off (I know that IBERT does it too, but this is only for PCIe)

AC_CAP_DIS = TRUE

RX Termination should be set correctly

RCV_TERM_GND = FALSE

RCV_TERM_VTTRX = TRUE

How is the MGT REFCLK generated for your design on both boards?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I was wondering if you're using the example design from the Aurora core?  The reason I ask is because there's a bug in the example design where the clock correction module is held in reset once lane_up is asserted.  This prevents clock correction sequences from being transmitted to eachother.  This means that if your refclks are not synchronous, then you're going to have issues eventually.

Open the top level example design module (mine is called "aurora_8b10b_v5_2_example_design") and invert the "lane_up_reduce_i" signal before it goes into the clock correction module.  

Hope this helps...

I am using example design. I tried your suggestion and it works!! Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I was wondering if you're using the example design from the Aurora core?  The reason I ask is because there's a bug in the example design

Luis, is this bug going to be corrected, or at least documented with a warning and a fix?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I put in the request to fix this last week. This will get fixed, but I'm not sure when.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This issue will be fixed in ISE 13.1 release

0 Kudos
Visitor zbakerunm
Visitor

It is crazy that this isn't mentioned in the Coregen system.   ISE loves to call home when things go wrong, it seems like coregen could phone home and pop up a little message that says, "hey, this core you just generated is totally bogus.  You should read this forum post <link>"

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor sydundar
Visitor

I have been trying to implement Fiber Interface Using  Aurora Core on ML605 , There is two different versions of  Aurora Core and i have tried both of them. I am using Example_Design of Aurora Core But Channel_Up signal is toggles in every 90us (aproximately) I dont know what is the reason of this problem. 

I add exactly same vhd codes of Example_Design of Aurora Core but it doesnt work. Anyone could help me about this issue.

Why Original  Aurora Core for ML605 is not working??

(I have genareted for spartan6 board and tested , it works succesfully but no success for ML605 )

Best Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos