UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer samer.sabbah
Observer

Aurora Link Problems

I am using Aurora to link two FPGAs together. One FPGA is a virtex5 while the other is a virtex 2 Pro. The Aurora version on the virtex5 is 5.1 while on the virtex 2 Pro is an older version. The Auroa is being used at 2Gbps with a 100MHz clock on both sides.

A soft error followed by a hard error is occuring very often on the link. Debugging of the signals showed that the signal RX_NOT_IN_TABLE is getting high just prior to the errors. Sometimes there is a disparity error as well. Before the error occurs there is a series of wrong received data (Zeroes).

Could anyone give me some hints to the cause of these kind of errors?

Could the different versions of the Aurora core or different FPGAs be a problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Aurora Link Problems

Something that is often overlooked is that a link between MGTs in different FPGA families, in this case Virtex-II Pro and Virtex-5, have to be AC coupled.

Check the core in loopback on both sides, so V2 Pro back to V2pro and V5 back to V5.

Do the LANE_UP and CHANNEL_UP get asserted at times?

There should be no problem with linking different version or different families.

Observer samer.sabbah
Observer

Thanks for the reply

There is one difficulty in the situation. I am not developing the  V2PRO... It belongs to a device that we bought and we have to connect to. So loopback can only be done in the V5. This works well... Its also not possible to see what the V2PRO is receiving.. I know what it is sending .. mainly the V5 is receiving the correct data util the error starts to occur... It then gets zeros and then the link breaks ... it takes few clock cycles to reconnect.

The lines are already AC coupled .. the LANE_UP and CHANNEL_UP are getting asserted normally

Did you mean Loopback from the "far end" of the link?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What version of the Aurora are you using for V2pro?. You may want to review the GT attributes and update.

Btw, Xilinx released Aurora 8B10B v5.2 core last week which has all updated GT attributes.

Tuning the GT attributes with lastest and/or recommended values *might* get rid of the soft error issue.

0 Kudos
Observer samer.sabbah
Observer

I have been trying different methods to solve the soft error problems. Changing the cables, connectors ... ect. without success. The link is initializing .. and i can even send and receive data ... but sometimes soft errors and hard errors are happening.

I had a look at the debugging signals. before the error is happening the "RX_NOT_IN_TABLE" is getting asserted. In the attachment there is screen shot from chipscope. What could be the reason for this error?

Thanks

AuroraError.JPG
0 Kudos
Visitor naika
Visitor

Hi,

I'm also facing similar problem. But the Aurora link is between V4 and V5. It is streaming mode duplex core. sometimes I'm getting a lot of soft errors in V5 when V4 aurora is transmitting and V5 aurora is receiving... could you find any solution?

cheers

0 Kudos
Visitor naika
Visitor

Hi Killi,

what do you mean by tuning GT attribute.. could you elaborate a bit?

cheers

0 Kudos
Observer samer.sabbah
Observer

Hi .. Were you able to solve the problem with the rocketio? Can you please update us..

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Did you check the oscillator? Make sure it's in the range.

As I remember, it's 100ppm total for two link partners.

0 Kudos
Visitor rneufeld
Visitor

Hi,  I am having the same problem connecting a version 5.3 Aurora core on a Virtex 5 to a version 2 core on a Virtex 2Pro.  Lane Up and Channel Up both get asserted and I can send data but with periodic hard errors that cause dropped frames. Has anyone been able solve this???

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Scholar samcossais
Scholar

@kka wrote:

What version of the Aurora are you using for V2pro?. You may want to review the GT attributes and update.

Btw, Xilinx released Aurora 8B10B v5.2 core last week which has all updated GT attributes.

Tuning the GT attributes with lastest and/or recommended values *might* get rid of the soft error issue.

Yes, replacing the GT wrapper with the one generated with transceiver wizard IP in Aurora preset solved the problem in my case (if I remember correctly). I use the Aurora core v5.3 between two Virtex-6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar samcossais
Scholar

By the way, I have a suggestion about that.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Aurora IP compatible with the Transceiver wizard wrapper ? It would be much easier to replace the "old" Aurora core GT wrapper with the more frequently updated transceiver wizard.

Actually, I have been using Aurora, SRIO and PCIe Xilinx IPs since Virtex-2 Pro, and in my humble opinion I think it would be very convenient for users and also easier for Xilinx to maintain if all your IPs using GTs were able to connect without any modification to the GT wrapper generated with the transceiver wizard (provided the wizard is set with the appropriate preset).

In this forum as well as in the Aurora user guide, we are told to preferably use the updated Transceiver wizard GT wrapper instead of the original old one, but to be honest it is quite easy to make a mistake because the ports are totally different between them and there are a lot of ports/parameters ! It took me a lot of time to replace the wrapper, safely checking all the connections/parameters one by one and double check. And then it again took me some more time to verify everything in simulation / hardware because the replacement was pretty much as if I partially recoded the Aurora IP.

In addition, users are able to more easily tune the GT settings by using the transceiver wizard IP.

Visitor lakata
Visitor

I don't understand how Xilinx gets away with this.

Xilinx recommends rerunning the GTH wizard to generate a new wrapper file that is totally incompatible with the file it is supposed to replace. 

I just ran GTH wizard (3.1) and the wrapper file has an entirely different port format than the wrapper generate by Aurora wizard (10.1). Both of these wizards are from the 2013.4 Vivado package.  Ports are renamed and the entire port list is in a different order.

I *could* understand if 1 or 2 lines were incompatible and needed a *little* tweak, if you used different Vivado releases. But  this is the SAME VIVADO release.  There's no excuse.

What's going on here? How can these 2 wizards be so out of sync?