UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Aurora Networking

Hi,

I have done the Aurora simplex communication b/w board to board. Now I need to communicate the aurora 8b10b with optical Switch/Router. I want to transmit/receive the data from board to optical links which is finally connected to final end PC. I am using Kintex 7 xc7k160tffg676-2 device. Is it possible to do? If so how do I give the IP address for each board? Like TCP/IP?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: Aurora Networking

abinaya1991@

Typically you would be operating at the MAC/ethernet level at this point. 

IP is the next level in the stack - but to use it you'd have to support translation protocols like ARP. 

TCP is another level on top of IP and it adds a ton of complexity. 

Just stay on the ethernet level. 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I think you need to use Ethernet IP cores to communicate with PC

Aurora doesn't follow IEEE802.3 spec

It means that the frame structures/data are different between Aurora and Ethernet. Aurora can only communicate with the link partner who is also Aurora

Explorer
Explorer

In my Custom Board there is no Ethernet provision. It has only one SFP for communication. So what could be the better way to communicate with Optical Switch/Router?

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

abinaya1991@

10G ethernet subsystem

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_10g_ethernet/v3_1/pg157-axi-10g-ethernet.pdf

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

So, There is no way to use Aurora for this kind of communication right? Because it will support only FPGA to FPGA not for FPGA to PC or PCI Express card?

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

abinaya1991@

The problem is the switch. They will expect an ethernet-compliant device in the other end.

But it depends what kind of "switch" you have. You got to dive in that device.