UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor diegovon
Visitor

DVB ASI

Hi,

I am trying to find the following Application Note: XAPP509 – DVB-ASI Physical Layer Implementation. Does anyone where I could find it?

Is there any DVB-ASI IP cores available for Virtex4? I found only the 8B10B encoder and decoder.

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DVB ASI

Diego,

Many of the Audio Video Broadcast application notes (including XAPP509 DVB-ASI) have been consolidated into a single resource:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp514.pdf (Audio/Video Connectivity Solutions for the Broadcast Industry)
[I'll send a note to our web team to hopefully make these easier to find]
There is also an updated version of the DVB-ASI SelectIO implementation available for Virtex-4. It is part of a larger system design:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp734.pdf (Xilinx Video Over IP Solutions for Virtex-4 Devices)
Note: It is possible to use the DVB-ASI physical interface from XAPP734 without an EDK processor system. I have a customer who has done this successfully. The project just isn't set up this way so it takes a little work to identify what pieces you need and move this some of this code to your own project. It should be fairly straight forward once you look at the RTL code.

Cheers,
bt
0 Kudos

A couple of questions:

1. Can you fix figure 16-6 in XAPP514. It does not display correctly.

2. Could this be run in a Spartan-3E?

3. Coregen does not want to generate the 8b/10b encoders and decoders for the Spartan-3e, is there a reason for that?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

1) I cannot personally but I have asked our documentation group to fix this. You can request this as well in the future using"Feedback" link on the bottom of our website

2) The RocketIO implementation obviously isn't supported on S3E (only V2P). I don't know of any functional reason that the SelectIO implementation couldn't be implemented on S3E (e.g. because of the nature of the design & the features it is using). However, I do suspect that you will not be able to meet the required timing.

3) I suspect this core isn't the top priority and hasn't yet been updated to include explicit support for S3E. There is no technical reason why you can't generate the 8b/10b cores for S3 and use it on S3E.

This process is outlined here:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/23880.htm (LogiCORE 8b/10b Decoder and Encoder - Do LogiCORE 8b/10b Encoder and Decoder support Virtex-5, Spartan-3E, or Spartan-3A?)

bt 

0 Kudos