cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bailie
Visitor
Visitor

Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA SGMII simulation

I am trying to run the auto-generated simulation for the Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA SGMII core.  I have generated the example design using Core Generator and attempted to run the functional simulation in modelsim using the provided simulate_mti.do file.  First off, ModelSim could not locate the following file:

echo "Compiling Core Simulation Models"

../../../example_design/cue_sgmii.v

I did find, however, the cue_sgmii module in ../../example_design/cue_sgmii_mod.v

Making that change in the .do script allows the sim to run, however, the testbench ends up displaying the following, and eventually "times out"

# ** Note: Timing checks are not valid
# Resetting core...
run 1us
# Rx Monitor           3: Comparing received frame with injected frame           0
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           3: gmii_rx_dv incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           3: gmii_rx_er incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           3: gmii_rxd incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# Rx Monitor           2: Comparing received frame with injected frame           0
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           2: gmii_rx_dv incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           2: gmii_rx_er incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           2: gmii_rxd incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# Rx Monitor           1: Comparing received frame with injected frame           0
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           1: gmii_rx_dv incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           1: gmii_rx_er incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           1: gmii_rxd incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# Rx Monitor           0: Comparing received frame with injected frame           0
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           0: gmii_rx_dv incorrect during preamble at  1264ns
# ** Error: Rx Monitor           0: gmii_rx_er incorrect during preamble at  1264ns

I did some digging and found that the status vector bits from the core are 'z's' for the duration of the simulation.  Maybe I should have not pointed to cue_sgmii_mod.v?  If not, where is the referenced cue_sgmii.v file? It did not appear to be created by coregen.  Anyone have experience running this sim?

-Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mmcguirk

This should work out of the box and does for me in v11.1 of the core. I also don't see the cue_sgmii.v file. Maybe try moving to the latest version (11.1)?

0 Kudos
deepeshm
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

As mmcguirk suggested please try with 11.1 version of the core. If possible try with ISE 13.3 and let us know if you still run into that issue or not.

0 Kudos
kratsas
Observer
Observer

Hello,

This is an old thread, but I wanted to check in to see if there had been any resolution. I am currently using ISE 13.4 and am attempting to simulate the example design with ISim rather than ModelSim. I'm experiencing the same issue where I get continuous messages resembling:

** Error: Rx Monitor 0: gmii_rx_dv incorrect during preamble at 118726ns

** Error: Rx Monitor 0: gmii_rx_er incorrect during preamble at 118726ns

** Error: Rx Monitor 0: gmii_rxd incorrect during preamble at 118726ns

and then the simulation eventually times out. The status_vector and gmii_rx... signals remain "ZZZZ'd" out for the entire simulation.

I did not have any of the abovementioned problems with locating source files. I just created a new ISE project with all of the relevant files and launched ISim.

I also came across Answer Record #44958 which addressed the timing out of the example design's simulation in 13.2/13.3. I found that it's solution (replace the CPLLREFCLKSEL value "000" with "001" in the gtwizard_gt.v(hd) file) had already been applied in my 13.4 version.

Any updates on this issue would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!

0 Kudos