UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie amiucci

Ethernet 100G ethernet IP

Jump to solution

Dear Xilinx forum community,

I plan to design a system which relys on 100Gb Ethernet communication.
I was wondering if there are some 100Gb IP available to built up either a TCP/IP or a UDP/IP link. If my understanding is correct there is a free of charge 100 Gb Ethernet Subsystem which includes the MAC and the PHY but not the higher level layer of the protocol. Am I right about it?

I am sorrys if my questions sounds a bit dumb, I am not an expert in the field.

Thanks,
Antonello.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ethernet 100G ethernet IP

Jump to solution

Hi @amiucci ,

The "Licensing and Ordering" on page 8 & 9 is very clear on what is offered for free and what needs to be paid to have. I am not sure which part is not clear. So basically, if 100GE AN/LT is required and for 100GBASE-KR4 or 100GBASE-CR4 applications, you will need to have cmac_an_lt license key that needs to be bought.

As having already mentioned, currenlty we do not have the driver for 100G core; and we do not have TCP/UCP IPs that you asked.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @amiucci ,

Which device are you targeting?

If for US+, please refer to PG203; if for US, please refer to PG165, especifically to licnese page for feature supports/cost etc.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/cmac_usplus/v3_0/pg203-cmac-usplus.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/cmac/v2_5/pg165-cmac.pdf

The TCP/UDP support is higher level layer and we do not have drivers support with 100G cores.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Relays? Relies on?

No, you won't find 100G stuff for free. Forget about it. Honestly. There is a lot of money on that field, it's a no-freebies World until it becomes mainstream. Not even for 10G there is much free stuff. 

0 Kudos
Newbie amiucci

Jump to solution

Hi nanz,

I am targeting ZU19EG which should have full support of the GTY transceivers.
I went through the PG203 and it is claimed that the 100GbE MAC+PHY is free of charge.
I see that there is no native support for TCP-IP or UDP-IP in Xilinx, I was then wondering if there are such IPs provided by partner o Xilinx alliance members.

For the project I am working we do not want to develop complicated interfaces as the interaction with the Ethernet MAC and we were wondering if there are IPs around that could be used. I am not necessarily looking for free of charge IP.

My question is more on the direction: who is currently developing this solution further so that can be used in a high-level design flow?

Thank you very much,

Antonello.

0 Kudos
Newbie amiucci

Jump to solution

Dear archangel-lightworks,

maybe my question was not clear enough. I have just asked if the 100Gb Ethernet MAC+PHY was free of charge as a confirmation of what is stated on the PG203.
I did not intended to say that any TCP-IP or UDP-IP will come for free on that side, I found difficult the IP navigation in the Xilinx website and I could not identify a partner already providing such solution.
It would be helpful to understand if there are people providing solution for such interconnection as I see there are a lot of hardware development on going at the moment.

Thank you,

Antonello.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If there is a business case behind, it's possible to get an evaluation, they are more than happy to do that.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

In my Vivado installation (2018.3) the us+ 100G ethernet sub system comes with the Purchase option. I'm surprised they say 'free of charge'. But you need more than the MAC and PCS/PMA. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @amiucci ,

The "Licensing and Ordering" on page 8 & 9 is very clear on what is offered for free and what needs to be paid to have. I am not sure which part is not clear. So basically, if 100GE AN/LT is required and for 100GBASE-KR4 or 100GBASE-CR4 applications, you will need to have cmac_an_lt license key that needs to be bought.

As having already mentioned, currenlty we do not have the driver for 100G core; and we do not have TCP/UCP IPs that you asked.

View solution in original post

Newbie amiucci

Jump to solution
Hi nanz,

I now understand that for QSFP28 applications I will need the 100GBASE-CR4 and so an additional cmac_an_lt license key will need to be purchased.

Thank you,
Antonello.
0 Kudos