Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shashank0694
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ethernet Lite Example Design

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have generated Ethernet Lite MAC IP core on Vivado and I have a question regarding the example design generated along with it. There are 2 instances of the Ethernet Lite Core, namely DUT and PARTNER. According to PG135, "Another instance of the AXI Ethernetlite IP core that is used in the example design receives the Ethernet packet." 

However, I am not clear with this statement. What is the role of the PARTNER instance? Does this mean that there should always be 2 instances in order to transmit and receive packets? While configuring the IP, we enter whether it should be Half-Duplex or Full-Duplex. Doesn't this take care of whether the instantiated core performs only Transmit/Receive or both?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yenigal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

So when you have a ethernet system there will be two end(link partners) with both sending and receiving data and if test this then you go for the example design where you have the partner generated too.

If you want to test with a single instance then you can use internal loopback mode where the TX data will be looped back to RX data.

There is no need of two instances to transmit and receive from the core.

Refer example design section for more details and the connections in the PG

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
yenigal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

So when you have a ethernet system there will be two end(link partners) with both sending and receiving data and if test this then you go for the example design where you have the partner generated too.

If you want to test with a single instance then you can use internal loopback mode where the TX data will be looped back to RX data.

There is no need of two instances to transmit and receive from the core.

Refer example design section for more details and the connections in the PG

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

shashank0694
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @yenigal

Thanks for the reply. I've got it now.

0 Kudos