cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Ethernet packet not recognized

I am implementing a design in a UltraZed-EG from Avnet with a XZCU3 device.  The goal is to transmit received data on a 1G ethernet port from multiple ADCs to a signal processor.  The final design needs to use the GEM fifo interface to the PL.  The data packet is formatted as IPv4/UDP with a max data size of 528 bytes.  When the data is transmitted using the fifo interface the hardware responds properly and the ethernet activity LED flashes indicating data going out on the port but the Windows Network Monitor never displays the data.  When using the DMA controller and scatter/gather descriptors to send a test packet with the same IPv4/UDP information the network monitor displays the expected header and test data.  Listed below are the header details

mac dest       FO:1F:AF:1E:6C:5F

mac src         00:0A:35:00:01:02

ethertype       0800

ipv4 word 1    4500022C

ipv4 word 2    00000000

ipv4 word 3    FF110000

ipv4 word 4    C0A8010A

ipv4 word 5     A9FEE12B

udp word 1     F42E1389

udp word 2     02180000

Attached are pictures of the header and the end of the transfer.  From all the information that I have read I appear to be sending the data correctly into the MAC from the PL with the correct header information.  Has anyone run into a similar problem before?  Also, I attempted to use the loopback_local bit to see what I was transmitting but it appears that functionality is not on the MAC that I am using, at least the register reference implies.

upart1.JPG
upart2.JPG
upart3.JPG
upart4.JPG
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @aldopowell ,

Do I understand correctly that the issue is not about GEM or ethernet link but about Windows Network Monitor displaying issue? 

If so, have you checked in wireshark that these packets are received correclty by GEM?

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I just recently resolved this issue and it is related to the other issue about the MAC throttling the transfer.  I started examing the MAC register setup and found that the data_bus_width bits in the network_config register contained a value of 01 instead of 00.  When using the fifo interface to PL those bits must be 00.  Once I corrected this the transfer was sent and Microsoft Network Monitor correctly displayed the packet that was transferred.  Also, the MAC no longer throttles the transfer and is now one continuous burst.

Highlighted

Great to hear! Thanks for the updates, @aldopowell .

Could you please mark your post as "Accepted Solution"? So other users will benifit from it. 

Thank you very much!

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos