UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer pmm
Observer

Packetize Data Stream To Send Over Ethernet

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

So, I have a data stream that I want to packetize/encapsulate and sent over 10G Ethernet.

I've been searching for a while but haven't found any IP core that could help me with this.
Do I have to implement it myself ? Is there any IP core that I am missing ? Does the "10G Ethernet Subsystem" already deal with it ?

I'm relatively new to the "FPGA world" so forgive me any mistakes or basic questions.

Regards,

Pedro Marques.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Packetize Data Stream To Send Over Ethernet

Jump to solution

Hi

You can generate HW evaluation license from the evaluate option from below link which will generate time limited bit file to use for Evaluation testing.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/do-di-10gemac.htm.html#overview

The core comes with an example design(refer PG157 for more details) which has simple frame generator, monitor and FIFO logic for sending and receiving frames through the core and you can use it as starting point. 

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@pmm Pedro

You would typically feed the 10G subsystem with a DMA engine

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_dma/v7_1/pg021_axi_dma.pdf

But if you are new to the FPGA world this is not a trivial task.

For once, I believe the 10G core requires a special license (the one in Vivado wont allow you to synthesize  generate a bitfile). 

Can you provide more details on what card/software you are using?

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

You can generate HW evaluation license from the evaluate option from below link which will generate time limited bit file to use for Evaluation testing.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/do-di-10gemac.htm.html#overview

The core comes with an example design(refer PG157 for more details) which has simple frame generator, monitor and FIFO logic for sending and receiving frames through the core and you can use it as starting point. 

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer pmm
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @hbucher and @yenigal for the replies,

Okay, maybe I'm new but not that much new :)

I already have two Kintex-7 KC705 communicating with each other through 10Gbps Ethernet over an optical link (SFP+). I'm using the 10G Ethernet Subsystem example design with the pattern generator/checker active in both boards to test the link.

Now I want to move on the the next step, feeding one board with a data stream, encapsulate/packetize that data over Ethernet and send it to the other board were I want to do the reverse.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

What is the source of the data stream and what is your application.

Does it have upper layers of protocol stack or just sending Ethernet frames.

You can directly drive the axi stream using the fifo's if it is Ethernet frames.

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos