Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svl123
Visitor
Visitor

Questions about PL-based 10GBe on ZCU111 & SFP+

Hello,

I am trying to implement a PL 10GBE solution using ZCU111 and its SFP interfaces and have a few questions:

1. One potential solution uses a third party UDP IP that could connect to the 10/25 Ethernet Subsystem in PCS/PMA mode. In this mode, the 10/25 IP has an MII interface. The third party UDP IP has an XGMII interface. Are these two interfaces directly compatible? If not, is there any info / documentation on how to convert from one to another? Are there any IP to do this? Also, is there any documentation on the MII interface? How feasible would writing my own IP implementing this interface to the 10/25 subsystem be?

2. If the answer to question 1 is No, then I am exploring using the Universal Serial XGMII Ethernet Subsystem IP. When I open the IP configuration for this IP, the "Licensing information" at the bottom says that one can use this IP either in USXGMII MAC+PCS/PMA mode or in PCS/PMA mode. I think I want to use this IP in PCS/PMA mode (which should then let me connect the third party UDP IP to the USXGMII IP via the XGMII, right?) but when I try to change it in the General -> Select Core menu, there are no options other than USXGMII MAC+PCS/PMA 32-bit. How can I use this IP in PCS/PMA only mode? I am using Vivado 2020.1 and USXGMII IP version 1.1.

Thank you,

svl123

0 Kudos
1 Reply
guozhenp
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

They're compatible. 10G/25G also uses XGMII interface.

MII is for 10M/100M, GMII is for 1000M, and XGMII is for 10G.

0 Kudos