UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor gimp3695
Visitor

RapidIO initializes but no data transfer

Hello,

I've been working with the RapidIO core and the Virtex5 processor on the ML505 EVM board. I've been able to successfully simulate and test the RapidIO hardware using a loop back on the SMA connects (after some code modifications to move it to GTP port 1 rather  port 0 as it comes preconfigured). I can send data using the DIP switches/push switches and verify that things are working using ChipScope Pro.

My next task is to connect this to a DSP board that has built in RapdIO peripheral hardware. After getting things configured on both ends the Link LEDs are as follows:

port _initialized = good (on)

lnk_rrdy_n = good

lnk_trdy_n = good

pll_locked = good

lnk_porterr_n = off (no error)

mode_sel = on (datasheet says this is 4x eventhough I am using only 1 lane and not 4x serial so either this is wrong in the IP code or I am misunderstanding what this means)

My questions are:

1. From the LEDs it seems everything would be good. However whenever I send a message either from or to the DSP nothing happens on either end to illustrate data has been sent/received. What signals should I inspect at a low level (possibly in the PHY) that would indicate a message has been received or an error has occurred?

When the DSP sends a request to the FPGA it errors out with a PKT_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT. The DEVICE_ID's match. In fact they are both the same, perhaps that is a problem?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Visitor gimp3695
Visitor

Re: RapidIO initializes but no data transfer

I was able to get this working by reducing the line rate from 3.125 GBaud to 1.25 GBaud
0 Kudos
Observer waldemarius
Observer

Hi. What DSP have you used. And how you connect this two devices (what cable, ports)?
0 Kudos
Visitor gimp3695
Visitor

I used a TI DSP C6474. The board has an advanced Mezzanine Connector (AMC) that has the Rapid I/O connections coming out, so we had to make an adapter board to connect between the DSP board and the Virtex SMA connectors.

I didn't have to make too many changes to the Rapid I/O core to get some data transfer. The changes I've listed above where the most significant ones. The other change was the DSP memory address for the NWRITE instruction. After that I could use the DIP switches and push buttons to transfer some data accross. One thing I did have to do was to decrease the link rate to 1.25 GBaud since our cable lengths where quite lengthy. This can be done in the core generator.

0 Kudos
Newbie anuradhaa

Hello,

can anyone   tell me in brief ,how do to simulate and test rapidio megacore on fpga. 

thank you

0 Kudos
Observer waldemarius
Observer

First of all, you must create a project with the help of Core Generator. There is a special script that create an ISE project or  you can manually create this project, adding files that have been created by Core Generator. In ISE Project Navigator you must choose Simulation and you can simulate project using ModelSim.

Fore RapidIO Core you can get documentation, read it.

0 Kudos
Observer waldemarius
Observer

Hi. Can you reccomend me what signal, clocks and ports must be added to ChipScope Pro in TRIGGER PORTS AND NET CONNECTIONS  to verify SRIO example project for ML505 in proper way.

Thanks a lot.

Message Edited by waldemarius on 06-24-2009 02:27 AM
0 Kudos