cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMK180 does not link to nVidia (Mellanox) MCX415A-CCAT 100Gb/s Ethernet Adapter Card

Jump to solution
We implemented 100G communication on a Versal VMK180 development board using the MRMAC primitive. I can't get the link to the nVidia (Mellanox) MCX415A-CCAT network card.
I managed to get link with Veex RXT-6000e Traffic Generator, Xilinx VCU128 Evaluation Board and Cisco Nexus 3232C Switch.
I mention that I use for connection II-VI (Finisar) FTLC9558REPM 100G Parallel MMF 100m Gen3 QSFP28 Optical Transceiver.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ejanney
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is same cable being used in all the tests?   Maybe an adjustment to TX drive strength and RX insertion loss on GTY would help?  

PRBS31 test pattern could also be tried if you able to enable it on Mellanox device.  In Vivado Hardware Manager, the build IBERT has option to enable PRBS for the VMK180.

It would also be worthwhile to see if just GT RX RESET has any effect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nanz

Hi traian.neacsa@cetti.ro ,

Could you please check this forum thread first and see if this helps?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Ethernet/Testing-100G-MRMAC-on-VCK190-ES1-with-spirent-C50-instrument/m-p/1213169

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

I read the forum thread you sent me! Everything is okay ! I will check in more detail if pcs indicates an error status! I noticed that neither rx_aligned nor rx_aligned_err are in logical 1. I will check rx_misaligned to see if there is a problem with the alignment markers

0 Kudos
ejanney
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Mellanox usually has RS-FEC enabled by default.  Have you tried enabling the RS-FEC? 

All tests were performed with RS-FEC activated. XILINX VCU128 (CMAC) links to Mellanox and VMK180 ES1 (MRMAC) but VMK180 ES1 (MRMAC) does not link to Mellanox.

0 Kudos
ejanney
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

With same 100G RS-FEC enabled bitfile/design on VCU128 board you can get link up with both Mellanox and the VMK180 board?  If so then VMK180 design should have correct configuration and clock rate.  Maybe you are running into reset sequencing?  Is Mellanox already on and cable connected to VMK180 when you configure the VMK180 board?  Can you try toggling GT reset all or a GT rx reset to see if this has any effect.  Is the link down on both VMK180 and Mellanox sides of the link?

0 Kudos

With same 100G RS-FEC enabled bitfile/design on VCU128 board i can get link up with Mellanox, VMK180 board, and Cisco Nexus 3232C switch. I tried both options: with Mellanox already on and the cable plugged in as well as Mellanox already on and the cable removed. If it doesn't link in 500 ms I toggle GT reset all. Link is down on both VMK180 and Mellanox sides of the link. This problem also occurs with MRMAC IP example design as well as when manually instantiating MRMAC IP and GT QUAD BASE IP.

0 Kudos
ejanney
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is same cable being used in all the tests?   Maybe an adjustment to TX drive strength and RX insertion loss on GTY would help?  

PRBS31 test pattern could also be tried if you able to enable it on Mellanox device.  In Vivado Hardware Manager, the build IBERT has option to enable PRBS for the VMK180.

It would also be worthwhile to see if just GT RX RESET has any effect.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

The same cable was used in all tests. In Versal ACAP's Transceiver Wizard I don't have the option to set TX drive strength. I tested with RX insertion loss on GTY set at 12, 20 and 30 dB and no difference was seen. I do not have the option to enable PRBS31 test pattern in Mellanox. I changed the design to reset only rx datapath and I didn't notice any change.

0 Kudos
ejanney
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, I just wanted to follow up and see which of these changes ended up working for you to get the link up?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

I could not link to Mellanox. I think it's a problem with the Mellanox network card. I connected VMK180 and Mellanox via an ethernet switch and everything is ok. I was able to generate traffic at full speed without any errors.