cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

What is the difference between aurora and aurora with chip2chip?

Jump to solution

Hi. 

I used aurora8B10B with spartan6 in my previous project to transfer data from board to another board.

Maybe i used aurora8B10B 5.3 version (not axi interface) 

Now i will use zynq-7000, and i found chip2chip ip core in IP catalog and some interesting project which use chip2chip ip core.

(XAPP1216 : AXI chip2chip reference design for real-time video applications).

As i know it, chip2chip IP core is for connecting device-to-device, chip-to-chip. 

So, my question is 

What is the difference between  using only aurora IP  and using aurora with chip2chip core to using serial communication?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: What is the difference between aurora and aurora with chip2chip?

Jump to solution

hi @kangsungsik ,

The basic difference is that Chip2chip IP use the  Hamming ECC code , where as the Aurora 8b/10b IP core use the CRC this is because To mitigate bit errors associated with a high speed serial interface, the AXI Chip2Chip core for this configuration implements(Aurora 8b/10 configuration ) a per-lane Hamming ECC code. The Hamming ECC odule implements single-bit error correction and multiple (double) bit error detection (SECDED) functions. To connect the AXI Chip2Chip core with the Aurora IP core, the Aurora IP core should be configured in AXI4-Stream mode without CRC check.

c2c IP Supports Link Detect FSM and implements Hamming SECDED error correction code (ECC) for Aurora interfaces, where as  16-bit or 32-bit Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) for user data by Aurora core 

there is aslo  difference in Resource Utilization and latency.

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: What is the difference between aurora and aurora with chip2chip?

Jump to solution

hi @kangsungsik ,

The basic difference is that Chip2chip IP use the  Hamming ECC code , where as the Aurora 8b/10b IP core use the CRC this is because To mitigate bit errors associated with a high speed serial interface, the AXI Chip2Chip core for this configuration implements(Aurora 8b/10 configuration ) a per-lane Hamming ECC code. The Hamming ECC odule implements single-bit error correction and multiple (double) bit error detection (SECDED) functions. To connect the AXI Chip2Chip core with the Aurora IP core, the Aurora IP core should be configured in AXI4-Stream mode without CRC check.

c2c IP Supports Link Detect FSM and implements Hamming SECDED error correction code (ECC) for Aurora interfaces, where as  16-bit or 32-bit Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) for user data by Aurora core 

there is aslo  difference in Resource Utilization and latency.

Regards
Chandra sekhar
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post