UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

how to connect outputs of XGMII from 10 GE MAC to SFP+ ???? what pins to connect ???any program

Jump to solution

hai , my name is MD AKRAMUDDIN from CDAC , hyderabad.

i am presently working on implementation of 10GE MAC on vertex 7 board i.e. vc 707 . i have 10GE MAC ip core but i cant able to understand how to connect the outputs of XGMII to phy on the fpga board to SFP+ ..

can u kindly help me????? this is an immediate task assigned to me and i am new to this project ..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: how to connect outputs of XGMII from 10 GE MAC to SFP+ ???? what pins to connect ???any program

Jump to solution

Hi

You cannot connect the XGMII interface directly to the SFP+

You need to connect the 10GMAC core to 10GBASE_R core and then connect it to the SFP+.

Have a look at the PG068 for more details on the connections.

Also the example design delivered with the core will help in top level connections.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: how to connect outputs of XGMII from 10 GE MAC to SFP+ ???? what pins to connect ???any program

Jump to solution

Hi

You cannot connect the XGMII interface directly to the SFP+

You need to connect the 10GMAC core to 10GBASE_R core and then connect it to the SFP+.

Have a look at the PG068 for more details on the connections.

Also the example design delivered with the core will help in top level connections.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
sir, can we have opensource core for 10GBASE_R and how to connect to SFP+ for that any core is available ?????

i cant able to understand .... i am new into it.. kindly help me ......

thank you...
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
kindly .... please let me know .....

is there any open source available ?????
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

Xiinx doesn't provide open cores,the cores are encrypted.

Have you gone through the PG068 and PG072.

You can find the documents from the links below

http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/10GBASE-R.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/DO-DI-10GEMAC.htm

Can you be more specific about what  you didn't understand,so that we can help you.

Regards,

Satish

Scholar kotir
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you want to get guidence on the SFP+ connectivity with V-7 device using the 10G cores, I would suggest you to look at the below link.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/vc709/2014_1/ug962-v7-vc709-xt-connectivity-trd-ug.pdf

This is a targetted ref design for VC709 Xilinx Eval Board.

I hope it will be useful to you.

Regards,

KR

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

thank for ur replies...

@yenigal : i have gone through those documents, sir ,now i got 10GBASE_R ip core from Vivado 2013..3 ip catalog. and i have mac code. now i have to connect both the cores in vivado.
can u please tell how to do that??? i am new to vivado tools ..

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
how to use 10GBASE_R (PCS) available in vivado ??? i mean i have to interface my 10GE mac code with it. but i dont how to use IP for interface.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

Have  you gone through the link pointed by koti.

The reference design uses 10GMAC and 10GBASER cores and you can see how they are connected in it.

It is simple interfacing of the 10GMAC or 10GBASER cores through the XGMII interface.

We can help you if you are struck at some point or have specific queries about the IP's but we cannot guide in doing your complete project.

You have to do it your self.

There are lot's of documentation and video's which you can refer first to get basic understanding of Vivado flows and designing with IP's.

http://www.xilinx.com/training/index.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/training/vivado/index.htm

Regards,

Satish

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

thank you sir,

i am using Vivado 2013.3, in this the IP "PCS/PMA(10GBASE_R)" LICENSE its showing "purchase" and when i open the ip , design linking license is available ..

so i cant use this IP for dumping into vc707 board??? it was supposed to be free of cost but i cant able to understand why it is showing purchase ..  i have downloaded license file from the xilinx but it is for 2013.2 , it is said that for 2013.3 this license file is not needed. what to do ???

can u please tell how to get the IP?? any  open source core of pcs/pma 10GBASE_R available?????

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

FIrst always create new thread for new issues.

This is a known issue for 10GBASE_R as it includes both Base_R and BASE_KR cores and license is required for BASE_KR core while the BASE_R is free core.

Have a look at the below link..

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/10G-PCS-PMA-core-license/m-p/409267#M5987

You should be able to generate the bit file for Base_R core with out any issues.

Try with the example design generated with the core and create a new thread if you still face any issues in bit file generation.

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos
Scholar kotir
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi,

PCS/PMA core is not an open source core. As said by satish, you need to get the licenses purchaged or can use a evaluation license from xilinx site.

If you want to have a referance , then check the VC709 TRD design.

It has the design integrated with 10G MAC+10G PCS/PMA.

network_path.v is th efile that contains the logic that connects the 10G MAC with PCS/PMA core.

Please kindly look at that and try a simulation to understand it.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/vc709/2014_1/ug962-v7-vc709-xt-connectivity-trd-ug.pdf

page 38 of the above document contains the simulation flow related information. You can go through it.

Regards,

KR

0 Kudos