cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

rate match between usxgmii [transceiver] and external SGMII capable PHY [third party chipset]

Hi,

background: - 

board and tools: - zcu102+ vivado 2017.4

i have a completed usxgmii + mcdma + baremetal code .

current:- 

it works fine w.r.t to 10G, 2.5G and 1G in terms of ping and response. [both ingress and egress paths are fine]

Issue/understanding:-

In the attached diagram, there  are 3 parts

Link partner [green color 1], will refer this as part1

external SGMII capable phy [green color 2] will refer this as part2

MPSOC internal capable sgmii transceiver [green color 3] will refer this as part3

what i see is when part1 is at 1G, part2 is on 1G [with link partner i.e. part1] and on part3/usxgmii [i accidentally, set it to 10G] and still am able to send few packets out and receive few packets.

so i tested following and it still works: - [ofcourse, i sent few packets and received packets, no sustained line rate traffic]

part1 [1G] + part2 [1G] + part3 [1G,2.5G,10G]

part1 [10G] + part2 [10G] + part3 [1G,2.5G,10G]

i understand part3 programming is USER responsibility,but my  question is how [part1 [1G] + part2 [1G] + part3 [1G,2.5G,10G]] is this working, i expected it to not work. Please help in understand this more with detailed internals.

note:- i went through USXGMII manual, could not get any reasonable answer for my question.

Thanks

usxgmii_question.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Hi @optivareddy 

I believe the core is with the autonegotiation enabled. 

Can you please confirm with the below signals to understand this:

-ctl_umii_an_mr_an_enable

-ctl_umii_an_bypass

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos