UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer fpga2017
Observer

Confused about the PCIe power of ML605

Jump to solution

I have used my ML605 for a while, and I always use the 12v power adaptor in the kit to power the board. Now I'm going to install my ML605 in my PC and test the PCIe interface, I'm following the documents UG533 and XTP044, the documents say: "Connect your PC power to J25", and "Do not use the PCIe power connector from the PC power supply". But my PC doesn't have a power cable for J25, so can I just power the board by the kit's power adaptor as I always do? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Confused about the PCIe power of ML605

Jump to solution

I stand corrected,  I seem to remember an adapter cable with the ML605 which was a 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIe..  but I must be remembering wrongly.    In any event, you should be able to use your wall adapter to power the ML605 when it's in your PC.

Good luck!

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
4 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

That PCIe connector on the ML605 is NOT a real PCIe connector..  the pinout is DIFFERENT!!!.      For odd historical reasons, the pinout diverged from the actual PCIe standard, and was never corrected.       You should be able to use the adapter provided with your board (pseudo PCIe to 4 pin hard driver connector), but using J25 would be better.    Just be sure to never try to mate your system PCIe power connectors to the ML605.

Observer fpga2017
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your advise, but I'm still a little bit confused. What do you mean by "adapter provided with your board (pseudo PCIe to 4 pin hard driver connector)"? I have a power adapter provided with my board which is 12V 6-pin and it connects to J60 of the board, and I've used it for a while since I got the kit, it this the same adapter you are talking about and if it can be used to power the board when I install it in my PC by PCIe interface? And there's actually no any power connector in my PC which can be connected to the ML605 board. So I guess I can just power the board by the adapter as normal and don't have to worry about any wrong connection, right? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

I stand corrected,  I seem to remember an adapter cable with the ML605 which was a 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIe..  but I must be remembering wrongly.    In any event, you should be able to use your wall adapter to power the ML605 when it's in your PC.

Good luck!

Observer fpga2017
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos