UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor aybas
Visitor

FPGA with ADC and Dc coupled DAC

Hi all,

I need an FPGA with the following spectifications:

-ADC and DAC. DAC output should be DC-coupled. I can buy a daughter card for this purpose.

-FPGA should have an internal clock in the range of MHz.

-Flash memory or ability to initialise from user settings in power up.

-FPGA should be compatible with Verilog.

I will use it to do active stabilisation of interferometers in optical experiments.

Do any of you happen to know such a product from Xilinx?

Best,

Deniz

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: FPGA with ADC and Dc coupled DAC

a,

What are you trying to optimze for?  Cost?  Power? Performance?

Generally, the Artix line is for lowest cost, highest volume, medium performance.  The Kintex line is for all items at a medium level, and the Virtex line for highest performance.

The older Spartan 6 line is still being manufactured and sold, so new designs are occurring there, too -  for low power, low costs.

If you require the product also be able run an operating system, then you should look at the Zynq product line.

First I would look at the most general needs, before descending into the lowest levels (which as you point out, may be solved best by an external SPI ADC/DAC device).

Then I would look at the demo boards offerred for the choice of family to get an idea of the capabilities.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

-ADC and DAC. DAC output should be DC-coupled. I can buy a daughter card for this purpose.

A: There is an on chip XADC on the 7 series devices which you can use if that is what you are looking for.

-FPGA should have an internal clock in the range of MHz.

A: You should in generally use an external clock to drive the FPGA logic which is recommended. However there is an oscillator on the fabric used for the CCLK generation required for configuration.

-Flash memory or ability to initialise from user settings in power up.

A: Spartan 3an has an internal flash on the FPGA. For other FPGA's you got to use external flashes.

-FPGA should be compatible with Verilog.

A: It does not matter which language you generate the bitstream from. Bitstream generated with both Verilog/vhdl should implement the same logic and should not be a problem.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
Visitor aybas
Visitor

Austin, thank you for your reply. Without any calculation, I would guess the lowest cost with medium performance would cover my general needs. I need to analyze input 14-bit data in real time and give output data. The analysis is not very complex, with my current design I am using 1152 logic elements, 92 registers and 39 pins.
After your suggestion, I looked at Artix series. It seems applicable for my project.
My real quest is finding a DC-coupled DAC. Do you have any suggestions on this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor aybas
Visitor

Anirudh, thank you for your reply. I checked 7 series, ther eis a XADC; but my real problem is finding a DC-coupled DAC output. Do you have any suggestions on this?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You said you can use the FMC daughter cards. In that case you can use the FMC150 from this link - http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/fmc-cards.html

Check if this should solve the ADC/DAC requirements for you.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
Visitor aybas
Visitor

Hi athandr, thank you for your reply.

In the key features of FMC150, it says "Single ended AC-coupled analog signals". I need DC-Coupled signals. I'm guessing it won't work out for me?

Deniz

0 Kudos