UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kevintitan
Visitor

Kintex Ultrascale KCU105 VCCINT Zener diode

In the KCU105 schematic a 2.2V zener diode is placed on the VCCINT_FPGA regulator output (0.95V).

I thought that the purpose of this Zener was to protect the FPGA in the event of the regulator output exceeding the absolute maximum VCCINT.

However, the absolute maximum VCCINT is 1.100V.

I can't see how the zener serves any purpose.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Kintex Ultrascale KCU105 VCCINT Zener diode

Please share the relevant part of that diagram which you are looking for review

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

k,

I presume you mean D16.

Often, a diode or zener will be placed to protect the other devices.

Yes, 2.2v is beyond the absolute maximum Vccint ratings, but it will force the power supply to shut down (hopefully) before the FPGA device is destroyed.  Or, it will be shattered by the power delivered to it, and leave behind evidence that the power supply had failed (often just knowing what went wrong is helpful).

Depending on the failure mode, and detection capabilities of the power supply, such means are suggested by the power vendor (they know their parts).  I suspect that zener was selected by Maxim, for that POL device and its associated parts.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor kevintitan
Visitor

Thanks Austin.

Yes I was referring to D16 (Sheet 52 of 66)

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Yes, that is the same D16 I am referring to.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos