UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tremmert
Visitor

Newbe - FPGA with GPS time sync and possible ADC?

Hello,

Fair warning... I am new to the FPGA world....

I have a project in mind and would like to design it using a FPGA dev board.  Basically, I am needing to monitor a contact closure switch.  When the switch is closed, I need to apply a timestamp that has sub millisecond accuracy (utilizing the 1pps signal from the gps chip).  I have looked at other microcontrollers, and the best I have been able to achieve is +/-2ms on a Beaglebone Black. 

I have always wanted to learn FPGA's so I assumed this would be a good start.  Can anyone begin by giving me some recommendations?  For example, I am still looking through the dev boards trying to choose one.  Right now, I am leaning on a spartan 6. 

Any thoughts that could push me in the right direction?

Thanks

Tommy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Newbe - FPGA with GPS time sync and possible ADC?

Hi tremmert,

A Spartan-6 board should be a good start. Which Eval board are you considering?

Doing a quick search online I found this project that uses a Spartan-3 board:

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/754

Let us know how we can help.

Thanks,

Andres

0 Kudos
Visitor tremmert
Visitor

Andres,

Thanks for the feedback!  Based on example projects that I have seen, I am leaning twards a Spartan-6.  Regarding dev boards, that is still a good question.  I am trying to keep my ultimate goal in mind and find a dev board that has all the components that I would need for testing. 

I appreciate the link to the Sparkfun site.  Ill run through that tutorial once I get a dev board in my hands.  I am however, still wondering about applying a time stamp (millisecond or better accuracy) when I have a contact closure, then getting that timestamp over to my computer...

Ill keep looking...

Thanks for your help!

Tommy

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

I would not recommend using the Spartan 6 for a new project. Xilinx continues to push it as a good chip for beginners, but in reality the Spartan 6 is a dead end. You'll be working with old/superceded software (ISE) with no significant updates coming and no realistic upgrade path.

A much better option would be one of the 7-series chips, which are supported in Vivado. The 7-series chips also have a built-in ADC that might be useful. The easiest way to get data to a PC is probably with a UART (and USB-UART, as included on most development boards), but you can also look at USB, ethernet, etc.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

The Arty board is a good board for beginners.  There's also publicly available code for GPS synchronization already found in this project, although it requires a PModGPS.  The Arty also has an XADC component for digitization, but I've never tried it so I can't speak for it.

Dan

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

My choice?

Pynq Z2 from Tul, GPS PMOD from Digilent.  Ptogram nostly in Python.

l.e.o.

0 Kudos