UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

Preserve design

Hi everyone,

When I am implementing a TDC carry chain alone it is showing an equal propagation delay after each element which is desired, but when I am implementing a same TDC carry chain module with the combination of counter it is giving different timing results, the propagation delay is different after each delay element. So, I want to preserve the desired timing reading in combined (counter + carry chain) implementation,same like carry chain alone implementation. Please any one has idea how to preserve design please answer. I am using vivado 2018.3 with artix 7 FPGA.

Thanks,

Gopal.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Preserve design

I have feeling here your fighting the tools, and will not win.

Why do you need to manualy craft a carry chain counter ?

in vhdl we would do A <= A + 1;

The tools work to impliment your logic, in such a way that it meets the timming constraints.

rember also the tools will modify your code to meet timming, whilst keeping the same function,  

Its like trying to program in say C against the register level of the processor.

you could program at the direct register level, but do you need to ?

whats your programing language ?

0 Kudos
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

@drjohnsmith 

Sir I am using verilog HDL and trying to implement TDC in FPGA artix7. I am new to vivado and FPGA.

Thanks,

Gopal.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Ok,

so your implimenting a delay unit,

probably used for an oscilator I guess.

there are a few optoins if this is so

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp872.pdf

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Other-FPGA-Architectures/Ring-Ocillator-Nexys-4/td-p/625227

0 Kudos
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

@drjohnsmith 

Sir, this is not for oscillator, it is for Time to Digital Converter(TDC). 

0 Kudos
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

@drjohnsmith 

I am instantiating one module in the another one(main project).

Before instantiating in the main project its timing propagation works fine when it is implemented alone, but after instantiating in main project its timing propagation deviating from the previous one. I think before instantiating I have to "Preserve Design". If you have about it please give me a reply.

Thanks,

Gopal.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

@drjohnsmith 

Sir It was helpful. Thank you, for your overwhelmig respose. I am really very happy because the people like you are there in the community who repply very quickly ,so one can have expectation from the xilinx community of quick reply.

Thank You,

Gopal.

0 Kudos