UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor uwaertsbert
Visitor

SP601: Base Reference Design - Application cannot connect to FPGA

Hello,

A few days ago, I set up my SP601 Spartan 6 evaluation kit. I followed the 'getting started' guide and successfully did the diagnostics, but that's as far as I got. I cannot seem to get the Base Reference Design to work.

Getting Started Guide - The base reference design guide can be found at page 14 and following pages.

I ran trough the board setup several times, but I'll repeat my steps here to verify that I did not miss anything.

• I connected the JTAG USB cable
  • I connected the Ethernet cable
  • I set SW2 in SPI config mode by switching M0 towards the outside of the board, where it says 'ON' and M1 towards the inside of the board, where it doesn't say 'ON' so I presume it's 'OFF'.
  • I installed the base reference design with the latest version of the installer that I could find (2.0.6).
  • The board is powered on.
When running the Base Reference Design Application, I select the right network interface. I do not have a wireless connection and my second wired connection is disabled.
After having selected the network interface, the Link Status reads: Not connected to FPGA. I ran trough the entire setup several times now and could not find any error there. 

After further research, I found direction to this documentation: AR#33229. This is solution for problems running the base reference design on Vista (perhaps important to mention that I use Windows 7 Bit myself). This solution contains a few steps. All goes well right until step 3:

Diagnostic Step 3:

2. Two sequential steps:
a. Once the BIST routine passes, plug the Ethernet cable back onto the SP601 board and connect other end to the PC Ethernet port.
b. Verify that the Ethernet link is active by checking for the green flashing lights on the Ethernet port. Since the BIST has passed, red / orange flashing lights on the Ethernet port should flag issues with the PC-end Ethernet PHY / port.

The BIST routine passes successfully. When connecting an Ethernet cable, green LED's are lit on my evaluation board.
On the PC-side, there is a non-flashing red light. As mentioned in AR#33229, this would indicate an issue with the PC-end of the connection.
While it surely is nice to know where the problem lies, I still do not have a clue what the problem is, nor do I known how to solve it. Further research has not had any results so far.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
If more information is required to help me, I will do more than my best to try and give it.

Kind regards,

Bert Uwaerts
Student

Kind regards,
Bert Uwaerts
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SP601: Base Reference Design - Application cannot connect to FPGA

What is the O/S in your system?

Also go thorough  http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35871.htm for BRD reference design files

Mahesh
0 Kudos
Visitor uwaertsbert
Visitor

I use Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.
I downloaded the BRD files, yet no improvement.

Thank you for spending time on this, I hope further advice is possible.

Kind regards,
Bert Uwaerts
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Have you been able to try on a different PC to see if you can isolate the board vs. the computer?  It may be worth trying to find a PC that is not running Win 7 and see if you can get this working there.

0 Kudos
Newbie zhong0920

I ran sp605 board into the same problem. What type of PC would you recommend to ran? Would a Vista box be a good candidate? Or is XP better?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please use Windows XP in concordance with AR #40705

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40705.htm

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Visitor klerwick
Visitor

I am faced with the same issues, using the SP601 Board.

I am using Windows XP SP3 and I still have the same problem "Not connected to FPGA"

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

Some things to try here might be:

- check to make sure you wireless connection is disabled

- run through the diagnostics in AR#33229 - does this help? http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33229.htm

- check if there is a client, ipv6, Qos, or file and print sharing for NIC running, and disable this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor deepsece06
Visitor

hello everybody, I am too facing the same problem i.e when i follow all this steps it shows fpga not connected and when i go for setup only one network interface comes i.e (broadcom netstream...) and when i select it it shows fpga not connected. I would really appreciate if someone help me with steps

thakyou

@uwaertsbert wrote:

Hello,

A few days ago, I set up my SP601 Spartan 6 evaluation kit. I followed the 'getting started' guide and successfully did the diagnostics, but that's as far as I got. I cannot seem to get the Base Reference Design to work.

Getting Started Guide - The base reference design guide can be found at page 14 and following pages.

I ran trough the board setup several times, but I'll repeat my steps here to verify that I did not miss anything.

• I connected the JTAG USB cable
  • I connected the Ethernet cable
  • I set SW2 in SPI config mode by switching M0 towards the outside of the board, where it says 'ON' and M1 towards the inside of the board, where it doesn't say 'ON' so I presume it's 'OFF'.
  • I installed the base reference design with the latest version of the installer that I could find (2.0.6).
  • The board is powered on.
When running the Base Reference Design Application, I select the right network interface. I do not have a wireless connection and my second wired connection is disabled.
After having selected the network interface, the Link Status reads: Not connected to FPGA. I ran trough the entire setup several times now and could not find any error there. 

After further research, I found direction to this documentation: AR#33229. This is solution for problems running the base reference design on Vista (perhaps important to mention that I use Windows 7 Bit myself). This solution contains a few steps. All goes well right until step 3:

Diagnostic Step 3:

2. Two sequential steps:
a. Once the BIST routine passes, plug the Ethernet cable back onto the SP601 board and connect other end to the PC Ethernet port.
b. Verify that the Ethernet link is active by checking for the green flashing lights on the Ethernet port. Since the BIST has passed, red / orange flashing lights on the Ethernet port should flag issues with the PC-end Ethernet PHY / port.

The BIST routine passes successfully. When connecting an Ethernet cable, green LED's are lit on my evaluation board.
On the PC-side, there is a non-flashing red light. As mentioned in AR#33229, this would indicate an issue with the PC-end of the connection.
While it surely is nice to know where the problem lies, I still do not have a clue what the problem is, nor do I known how to solve it. Further research has not had any results so far.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
If more information is required to help me, I will do more than my best to try and give it.

Kind regards,

Bert Uwaerts
Student

0 Kudos
Visitor deepsece06
Visitor

Hello everybody i am working with spartan 6 i.e SP601 and could really cannot figure out the same problem which i am facing i.e while going for setuo menu it shows in network interface as (Broadcom Netxtreme..) but it shows fpga not connected. i am using the OS as XP. i will be really thankful if anyone can help me

thanking you

0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried the various steps outlined above?

In particular, try the following:

- check to make sure you wireless connection is disabled

- run through the diagnostics in AR#33229 - does this help? http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33229.htm

- check if there is a client, ipv6, Qos, or file and print sharing for NIC running, and disable this

0 Kudos
Visitor stvnjns
Visitor

Although I have just starting using the SP605, I ran into the same issues listed above.  I have finally gotten the SP605 to talk to the ethernet and was able to run the Base Reference Design Applications. 

So what I found was:

1) You can not use Win7_x64 ( do not know about Win7_x32) - I set up a XP system for the FPGA.  Before finally figuring this out, I spent most of the first day trying out the various suggestions in this forum, before I finally found that Win7_x64 does not seem to be supported.  Those steps included running the self tests, reinstalling software ( multiple times! ) and setting network addresses.  I wish Xilinx would have said in release notes that Win7_x64 did not work and, additionally, what the correct ( or maybe the SP605 doesn't care! - Still looking into that ) network address range for computer / SP605 is suppose to be.

2) For the NEW XP system I had to set up (just  for this!), I have used a dual LAN mother board. Initially I set it up so that NIC #1 was talking to ouside world and NIC #2 was talking only to SP605.  Seemed reasonable!  After a lot of swapping, it turned out that the SP605 was only able to talk to the NIC #1, not NIC #2.  I have tried to set both of the NIC ports (at different times!) to the 192.168.1.x address. I normally use 192.168.2.x for local network, so having to use the .1.x was annoying.   Even after I got the first NIC working, I was unable to go back to the second.  I have swapped my system now to use the 2nd NIC for external internet access.

2a) I do not know if it is nessecary to use the 192.168.1.x addresses or if other sets will work.  At some point in the forum browsal, there were comments on it being necessary to be at 192.168.1.x.

2b) Also in the forum were suggestions that the SP605 needed to talk to the 100M full duplex wire, not 1G.  To facilitate that, I did, for some period of time, use a 100M hub.  Additionally I set the NIC controller to only support 100M.  It has turned out that the SP605 seems to communicate just fine over 1G ethernet. - Well at least to one of my ports!

3) I ONLY had the QOS and file/printer sharing services disabled when I finally got the SP605 to work.  There were several other services that the belong to the realtek control of the NIC chip-set that I could not disable. The SP605 was able to successfully communicate with the other services running.  See #4!

4) After I got it running, I went back and turned on the QOS and file/printer services and the SP605 continued to communicate successfully.  SO - I do not know if it was even necessary to turn them off in the first place.  I think it had more to do with unsuccessfully trying to use NIC #2.

I don't know if this will help anyone - Hope it eliminates a little of the frustration and worry that I had to deal with.

Good luck

Steve

Visitor kra925
Visitor

I have the same problem. I tried to resolve the problem step by step as it had already been described. However nothing help me. It seems to me that the connection problem depends on nic driver and nic vendor. Will this problem affect on Xilinx ISE working with SP601?

Xilinx representatives! These questions for you..

How can I work around the problem surely?

0 Kudos

Hi Bert,

I am sorry to inform you that the Base Reference Design GUI used as part of the BRD for the SP601,​​ SP605,​​ ML605 does not work with Windows 7.

You can see this information in Answer Record AR#​​:40705 at  - http:/​​/​​www.xilinx.com/​support/​​answers/​40705.htm

There does not seem to be a workaround for the connection problem that arises when using the BRD Utility GUI with Windows 7. Use of Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7 this does not seem to provide a solution as the underline OS is Windows 7 and this is where the communication problem arises. This is not an problem with your LAN or LAN settings as is described in some cases but an issues with the BRD Utility GUI and Windows 7.

You can test the Ethernet capabilities with "xapp1026.pdf" at the following link - http:/​​/​​www.xilinx.com/​​support/​​documentation/​​application_​​notes/​​xapp1026.pdf

This has been tested with Windows 7 and ISE 13.1 and is a good start to using and seeing the Ethernet capabilities of the board. This document provides a link to all design files for testing and all settings that are required for the application to function.

Kind regards,
Gareth
0 Kudos