UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble programming VC709

I'm trying to program the VC709 using USB/JTAG but am having various problems depending how I do it. The BIST all works fine so I assume the board is ok. I switched the SW11 bank so that pins 3,4 and 5 are 101 for JTAG. All the status LEDs indicate the board is fine. I have two boards and tried both with the same results. I tried two different machines for Windows XP and Windows 7 (I also tried a third machine running Linux but couldn't get the drivers to install). I'm using the license that came with the VC709 board, but recently also tried a 30-day evaluation license and there was no change.

Here are the methods I have tried:

iMPACT: Whenever I try to add a device or initialize chain it immediately gives an error: "A Xilinx Application has encountered an unexpected error ... For further assistance, please consult the Answers Database and other online resources..." I can see in the iMPACT console that it found the xc7vx690t, but iMPACT hangs after that error with "operation in progress, please wait..."

Vivado 2013.3: The hardware manager finds and connects to the FPGA, and even looks like it is programming normally. However, once the programming progress bar hits 100% nothing changes. The FPGA in the hardware window still says not programmed, and under messages I have "[Labtools 27-33] Done pin status: LOW" and "[Labtools 27-1435] Device XC7VX690T (JTAG device index = 0) is not programmed (DONE status = 0)."

Vivado 2013.4: The hardware manager doesn't seem to find the FPGA. The menu for "select hardware target" lists the digilent module as a hardware target, but under "hardware devices" I don't see anything at all. The "next" and "finish" buttons are greyed out because there is nothing to connect to.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Trouble programming VC709

This sounds like a software driver installation issue.   Can you post the entire impact.log file?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the impact log below. The line with "Added Device xc7vx690t successfully" is where it hangs, and everything after is when I shut down impact.

iMPACT Version: 13.4

iMPACT log file Started on Thu Feb 06 16:49:40 2014

Welcome to iMPACT
iMPACT Version: 13.4
Project: C:\Xilinx\\auto_project.ipf created.
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: found 1 device(s).
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: opening device: "JtagSmt1", SN:210203825429
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: User Name: JtagSmt1
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Product Name: Digilent JTAG-SMT1
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Serial Number: 210203825429
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Product ID: 30800151
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Firmware Version: 0108
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: JTAG Port Number: 0
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: JTAG Clock Frequency: 10000000 Hz
Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain configuration...
INFO:iMPACT - Current time: 06/02/2014 16:49:47
// *** BATCH CMD : Identify -inferir
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Identifying chain contents...'0': : Manufacturer's ID = Xilinx xc7vx690t, Version : 3
INFO:iMPACT:1111 - Can't locate bsdl file xc7vx690t.bsd.
INFO:iMPACT - Using CseAdapterBSDevice
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc7vx690t successfully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Project: 'C:\Xilinx\\auto_project.ipf' created.
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -ss
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -sm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -hw140
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -spi
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acecf
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acempm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -pff
// *** BATCH CMD : saveProjectFile -file "C:\Xilinx\\auto_project.ipf"
INFO:iMPACT - Launching WebTalk, please refer to the webtalk log at C:\Xilinx\webtalk.log for details.
INFO:iMPACT - Running wbtc successfully.
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -ss
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -sm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -hw140
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -spi
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acecf
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acempm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -pff
// *** BATCH CMD : deleteDevice -position 1

0 Kudos

I think the problem is the XM105 FMC debug card that was attached to the board. I thought I had previously tried without the card and still had the problem, but right now I am able to program the FPGA only with the XM105 removed. Sorry, I thought I had already tried that before posting here.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Ok, there is a jumper location on the board to loop the TDI back to the TDO.  If you install that jumper then it should work fine with the FMC-XM105 installed.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The following AR http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54355.htm can help for verifying default settings and to debug

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos

The TDI/TDO jumper did the trick. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Visitor Rengainria
Visitor

Re: Trouble programming VC707

When i try to program my VC707 board, i'm getting the following error message.

set_property PROBES.FILE {C:/Xilinx/Vivado/expt/IIC1/IIC1.runs/impl_1/debug_nets.ltx} [lindex [get_hw_devices] 0]
set_property PROGRAM.FILE {C:/Xilinx/Vivado/expt/IIC1/IIC1.runs/impl_1/IIC_controller.bit} [lindex [get_hw_devices] 0]
program_hw_devices [lindex [get_hw_devices] 0]
WARNING: [Labtools 27-33] Done pin status: LOW
program_hw_devices: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:20 ; elapsed = 00:00:19 . Memory (MB): peak = 1821.008 ; gain = 164.625
refresh_hw_device [lindex [get_hw_devices] 0]
ERROR: [Labtools 27-2312] Device xc7vx485t_0 is no longer available. Check cable connectivity and that the target board is powered up then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server to re-initialize the hardware target. Use  open_hw_target to re-register the hardware device.

Though i'm not getting any errors during synthesis, implementation and generate bitstream phases. When i try to program the same board using someother bitstream it works without any problem.  Can someone tell me what could be the issue.

Thank you

0 Kudos