UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor mwedret
Visitor

Wrong Bootloader for migrated project

The firmware team started with the ZCU106 VCU TRD reference design and then ported the Avnet design.  The board we are using is the Avnet UltraZED-EV SOM.

For some reason, when the firmware team generates a hdf the bootloader is for the ZCU106 and not the Avnet board.  The FGPA is for the correct board but the bootloader files are for the wrong board.  The hdf contains the files -psu_init_gpl.h, psu_init_gpl.c, psu_init.tcl, psu_init.h, psu_init.c. These files are not getting updated for the Avnet Board.  For some reason, these bootloader files are for the ZCU106 board.  

Is there a step the firmware team missed?  Is there a tcl script that needs to be manually updated?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Visitor mwedret
Visitor

Re: Wrong Bootloader for migrated project

I found out the design_1_bd.tcl in the hw_handoff directory is wrong.   Does anyone know how this file is created?   Why would the file be for the wrong project?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi mwedret,

Not sure which process your team is following, but UG1209 is a good Tutorial.

If you look at the screenshot on page 36, it shows how to select the right Hardware Platform while creating the Bootloader.

Let me know if that doesn't work and we'll investigate further.

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Visitor mwedret
Visitor

Hi,

We are using the petalinux-build command to build everything including the bootloader.  The hdf from the firmware team has bootloader files from the old board.

The file - Name.srcs\sources_1\bd\vcu_trd\vcu_trd.bd has some settings that look wrong.  The firmware team does not know what needs to be done to fix this file.  The settings that start with the "PSU__" are for the wrong board.  

thank you

0 Kudos

Hello @mwedret 

I will add a few comments here and will request you to write a new post in the following board which is appropriate to answer all your questions.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/bd-p/EDK

1. Hardware handoff file is generated when you generate the .hdf  file with bitstream included. Make sure you have followed correct steps in VIVADO.

2. what is the type of Petalinux project you have created here? I expect it to be template flow. 

Please refer UG1144 for steps to create Petalinux project in template flow. Then configure the project in accordance with your hdf and then build.

I hope this will solve your bootloader issue.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor mwedret
Visitor

Hi,

The issue is not in the software development.   The issue is the files in the hdf are wrong.  The issue is the firmware's team Vivado project.   I looked at the file project\Name.srcs\sources_1\bd\vcu_trd\vcu_trd.bd.  Inside the file some items containing PSU_ were set to the wrong value.  The firmware team does not know where these values are from or how to change these values.  These values seem to be from the first project and not correct for the new board.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi mwedret,

I would encourage the FW team to create a new HDF from scratch to avoid those issues. 

If you have any questions, you might get better answers on the Embedded Forum, since the Evaluation Boards one is mostly geared towards Xilinx boards and their Reference Designs.

Thanks,
Andres