UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dbanks122
Visitor

ZCU111 - FMC+ to FMC Adapter

I have the ZCU111 Evaluation Board, and I will need to use a daughter board with a plain FMC connector (e.g. FMCOMMS3). This is different from the FMC+ HSPC connector that comes on the ZCU111. What adapters exist that I can use for this?

I found the following adapters from HiTech Global http://www.hitechglobal.com/FMCModules/FMC+ToFMC_Splitter.htm, but I am concerned that this board will not physically fit on the ZCU111 due to the ZCU111's SFP cage. I believe that both the left and the right turn versions of this adapter will turn towards the SFP cage and be blocked by it (one will turn left towards the fan, and one will turn right off the board and towards the cage). Even if the "right turn" option clears the SFP cage, it will likely block me from using the SFP slots.

The mechanical drawings of the FMC+ to FMC splitters from HiTech Global are attached.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me with certainty that I can use one of these splitters with the ZCU111 or that another option exists for me to use plain FMC with the ZCU111.

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

dbanks122

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

回复: ZCU111 - FMC+ to FMC Adapter

Hi @dbanks122

It looks to me that left-turn model should work. The information on the website is limited and I cannot find the evidence that the left turn model will turn towards to the fan side after mounted. I suppose it should like below after mounted.

Capture.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Participant nuelle85
Participant

Re: ZCU111 - FMC+ to FMC Adapter

As stated by VITA, FMC+ is backwards compatibile:

https://www.vita.com/resources/Marketing%20Alliances/FMC/fmc__faq%20v8.8.pdf

"Backwards Compatibility: FMC+ allows for the mating of a female HSPC connector to a male HPC or LPC connector. Due to the large pin-count of the female connector, some of the pins will be “no connects”.  Note, the same configuration vice versa, will not function electrically or mechanically. FMC+ can only accept FMC mezzanines."

That means you can plug an FMC board (LPC/HPC male connector) into FMC+ (HSPC female connector). But I haven't tried this yet.

Visitor dbanks122
Visitor

Re: ZCU111 - FMC+ to FMC Adapter

Thank you @nuelle85! I will try this and see if I can connect an FMC daughter board to the FMC+ HSPC connector. It would be best if I could get some further confirmation that this should work. Anything thoughts here @zhendon?

0 Kudos
Visitor dbanks122
Visitor

Thanks @zhendon! Look at the male FMC+ HSPC connectors on the splitter boards in this image:

Screenshot from 2019-01-09 08-17-07.png

Note that the connectors are horizontally flipped in the left turn and right turn versions. You can tell this is the case by looking closely at the connectors here and noting that the two little pieces of protruding plastic on each board point towards the center of this image. So the left turn option would need to be flipped over like you are turning back a page in a book (left over right) to fit in your image below. And the right turn option would need to be flipped up like a laptop screen (bottom over top). Both options would point towards the right in the image below:

Screenshot from 2019-01-09 08-35-58.png

0 Kudos
Participant nuelle85
Participant

@dbanks122They just mirrored the picture for simplicity! Don't rely on that images. It would make no sense to flip the connectors as well.

0 Kudos