UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

ZCU111 board, eval tool gives 14 bit data instead of 12

Jump to solution

I am evaluating  ZCU111  through RF data converter Evaluation user interface TRD v1.3.

The ADC on chip is 12 bits hence maximum ADC values can be +- 2048. 

But as you can see, the attached graph shows ADC values of 14 bits. How is it possible that a 12 bit ADC is giving values of 14 bits ADC?

rf adc.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer sulemanzp
Observer

Re: ZCU111 board, eval tool gives 14 bit data instead of 12

Jump to solution

As per my understanding.

FPGA Firmware for RF DC Evaluation tool uses  "Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC RF Data Converter LogiCORE IP". According to the IP datasheet at page 9 in RF-ADC features its mentioned that (12-bit RF-ADC resolution, with 16-bit digital signal processing datapath). This tool is recieving 16 bit sample from ADC. If you increase the power of signal the graph will display values between +/- 32768 instead of 14bits value. Also figure at page 44 in ug1309 shows that amplidues (LSB) reaches 16 bits number. If you want 12 bit ADC data just drop the lower 4 bits after saving the raw ADC data. 

4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Is it that difficult question? Guys can anyone reply?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Seems no one knows... 

0 Kudos
Observer sulemanzp
Observer

Jump to solution

As per my understanding.

FPGA Firmware for RF DC Evaluation tool uses  "Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC RF Data Converter LogiCORE IP". According to the IP datasheet at page 9 in RF-ADC features its mentioned that (12-bit RF-ADC resolution, with 16-bit digital signal processing datapath). This tool is recieving 16 bit sample from ADC. If you increase the power of signal the graph will display values between +/- 32768 instead of 14bits value. Also figure at page 44 in ug1309 shows that amplidues (LSB) reaches 16 bits number. If you want 12 bit ADC data just drop the lower 4 bits after saving the raw ADC data. 

Visitor dbarker
Visitor

Jump to solution

This doesn't answer the question.  When I use the Eval Tool, I get 16-bit words from the A/D and the 14 MSB's of each word contain data, while the least significant 2 bits are always zero.  I have all the digital signal processing bypassed so I should be getting raw A/D data.  So why are the supposed 12-bit A/D's producing 14-bit data?

Thanks

0 Kudos