UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Artix-7 + Flash Cypress 25FS @ 1.8V... not supported

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to use a Cypress S25FS064SAGNFV030 (1.8V, 64Mbit) as a configuration device for the XC7A50, and not having much luck using Vivado to program it via JTAG (device isn't recognized.)

Before you suggest I use 25FL or Micron, please note the extreme long lead time on the latter and the EOL status on the former. Also, a 3.3V device is a non-starter as I require that bank to be 1.8V, and there's no room for level translators.

I am told this is because both Micron and Cypress are undergoing fab transitions for their NOR families, so the situation for the older families isn't going to get any better.

1. Is there an update in the works to support these newer Cypress devices?

2. Is there a DIY method (e.g., make an XML file) to support new flashes?

3. Failing that, how about Winbond?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Artix-7 + Flash Cypress 25FS @ 1.8V... not supported

Jump to solution

We swapped the device to use the Macronix part mx25u3235f type instead. No issues, works fine.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @vortex1601,

Yes, Its true that most of the Micron flashes are on there EOL.

While VIVADO will not help you program the flashes mentioned other than in the UG908. 

It will show ID code check error.

If there has not been any purchases done we will suggest you to stick to the supported flash list and use the one mentioned in the list.

If that's not the case then customer can go for external programming of flash devices using third party tools and then place it on the card.

Please note that this method of design is not a recommended solution but in part availability and tool limitations it can be followed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

This is a new design. I don't have inventory of any of the 'approved' parts available. According to Mouser and Digikey, all Micron SPI flash is 12 week leadtime, and the 25FL series is EOL, supplanted by 25FS for 1.8V.

Bottom line: I can't obtain any 1.8V parts listed on the Vivado supported list in any reasonable lead time from disti. All new designs using SPI will have the same issue.

Again, I ask, what is Xilinx plan for this? What is involved in qualifying a new device?

0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

The Problem is very well known, pretty much everything is EOL, "contact factory" or allocation with near impossible lead-times.

I just tried to find some Xilinx documents I do know do exist from xilinx.com and failed to find them.. :(

There is document that says what COMMANDS must be supported by the SPI to work at all with give FPGA arch. If the SPI Flash is OK fo the FPGA (command set compatible) then a DIY Workaround is to create own spi indirect Software Solutions, or xc3sprog, or patch xc3sprog to add the Flash you Need.

We use small 2Mbit micron in one product and our own Software to Flash it.

Winbond flashes are compatible but for some reason Xilinx is not adding the Software Support.

S25FS to my knowledge does not have needed command set, and is fully useless..

S25FL can not buy anymore.

so back to micron

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I'm currently trying out a Macronix part (MX25U3235F). I am able to program it and read it back and the compare looks fine, which tells me that I have at least x1 SPI wired correctly.

But... doesn't raise DONE at startup. Mode bits are set to 3'b001 for Master SPI. I see CS go low and clock going in... more debugging to do I suppose.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

hi @vortex1601,

can share the status register ,

Follow below process to retrieve the config status registers: 

1. Open Hardware Manager

2. Connect the board and program it. (It fails)

3. Select the device in the top window of Hardware Manager

4. Click on Properties tab in Properties window

See below snapshot:

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
original1.png
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

We swapped the device to use the Macronix part mx25u3235f type instead. No issues, works fine.

0 Kudos