cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Boundary scan for Kintex-7 ( Help to a newbie)

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I'm new to FPGA's. I'm looking for detailed information about executing boundary scan on my Kintex-7 Ultrascale board. I've searched 2 days for a complete info but could'nt find any good source. Consider that I'm still leraning about FPGA's I don't know where to look anymore. In Xilinx documents I've found BSDL files and such but I don't know hot to use them. Is there any verilog design example with detailed explanations for this matter. I'm lost in the large chunks of data and user guides. Help please. 

Thank you all in advance.

Have good day/night.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

I'm not totally clear on what you're trying to do. Running a boundary scan on any of the Xilinx development boards is trivial: plug a USB cable into the USB-JTAG port on the board, set jumpers/switches to enable JTAG (according to the board user manual), then run Vivado Hardware Manager and click the "Open target" button. Vivado should automatically detect the connected device, assuming that drivers are installed. No need to use BSDL files (they're built-in).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Boundary scan is nothing but what JTAG does. Maybe not strictly correct, but to be honest, you don't need to bother about that.

Write your HDL, synthesize it, generate your bitstreams and either download them to your device or create a configuration file for your flash.

That last operation will be done with the programming cable, using JTAG. That's probably all you need to know about it for a while.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thank you for answers. But I need a verilog implementation guide too. For doing scan internally. vithout using vivado's device manager.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer
0 Kudos