cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry_ramaker
Visitor
Visitor

Combine Remote Update (XAPP1081) with a Tandem Boot (XAPP1179)

I want to have the possibility to remote update the Firmware. The Current Firmware uses Tandem-Boot and that makes the PROM pins PERSIST. Can I use the Remote Update Functionality in this case?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iguo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I guess you are talking about update PROM stage 1 image by PCIe link? Or you are talking about Tandem PCIe with Field update?

If the former, you need to use Tandem PCIe instead of Tandem PROM. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
harry_ramaker
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks, so with the Tandem PROM method the PROM can only be updated using a JTAG programming cable. The PROM is not accessible by the user because of the PERSIST property. Right?
0 Kudos
hj

Yes. Tandem PROM doesnot give access to the flash. Refer to the PCIE product guide. https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/56453.html
-Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
anr7
Observer
Observer

@hj 

What is the reason for the persist configuration requirement in Tandem PROM? Why does the FPGA need to keep those lines blocked? Is there any traffic occurring on those lines after configuration?

Would the following work? : Multiplex some other FPGA IO pins against the FPGA configuration pins externally via a multiplexer on the PCB and thus regain access to the flash from the FPGA user design?

0 Kudos