UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar mistercoffee
Scholar

Connecting to two targets at once (HW Manager, JTAG..)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a board containing a Kintex and Zynq. Each are on their own JTAG chain and I can connect, configure and debug both of them independently just fine. I'm using two Platform USB II adaptors. However when I want to debug both together the only way I have been able to succeed is with two instances of Vivado. Is there a way to debug both in one instance or a better way?

It seems as soon as I try to open the second target the first target closes and this carries on, toggling between the two. It would seem (from reading UG908 and the Tcl guide) that it should be possible to manually connect to two different localhost servers within one Vivado instance, presumably each on a different port. However when I try to do this on any port other than the default 3121 it errors. Then again, when I have the system running successfully with two Vivado instances, they both have a server running on 3121 so this may not be the problem.

What's going on here exactly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar mistercoffee
Scholar

Re: Connecting to two targets at once (HW Manager, JTAG..)

Jump to solution

Ok thanks.

As we'll generally be using ILA/VIO I guess the best thing to do is to carry on with two Vivado instances for now. Otherwise I suppose we could add the command to the init.tcl to apply it by default.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @mistercoffee

As you  know  VIVADO is a kind of interface to the hardware server, only knows how to open and display a single connection at a time.

There is one tcl command to achieve this .You can use following tcl command (set this in the tcl console before opening hw manager)

to enable multiple targets in single hardware sessions.

set_param labtools.enable_multiple_cables 1
Since this is not a production feature, we recommend to use this only for IBERT designs. This may not work properly for other debug cores ( eg : ILA, VIO)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply if you have any queries , Give Kudos and Accept as Solution if you get the resolution of your Issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar mistercoffee
Scholar

Jump to solution

Ok thanks.

As we'll generally be using ILA/VIO I guess the best thing to do is to carry on with two Vivado instances for now. Otherwise I suppose we could add the command to the init.tcl to apply it by default.

Thanks

0 Kudos