Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor

Digilent JTAG USB Cable - can't initialize chain

Jump to solution

I'm trying to configure XC3S700AN via jTAG interface on HW-SPAR3AN-SK-UNI-G using Digilent JTAG USB Cable ( http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,395,523&Prod=JTAG-USB ). First I tried to program the device by iMPACT but it refused to cooperate, so I took my chances with Adept 2.1 32-bit (on WinXP 32-bit, VirtualBox) and Adept 2.1 64-bit (on Win7 64-bit).
Here's what Adept spits out on Win7:

Initializing Scan Chain...
Found device ID: ffffffff
Found device ID: ff
ffffff
Initialization Failed.

On WinXP it just says 'Initialization Failed'.

Any ideas what I can do about it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor

Solution: use other cable.

I tried with platform cable II and flash is being programmed. I'm not sure what was wrong with the Digilent one, it's under tests at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Hi

assuming the software you have is win 7 compatable, looks like you have a broken JTAG chain.

It's out withthe scope, to see what th esignals on the JTAG chain look like when your programming, 

they should have nice edges, and a nice logic level, 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
Adept 2.1 is compatible with Vista so it should work with Windows 7 as well. I have 64-bit version of OS but there is also 64-bit version of software, so everything should be just fine. Unless someone experienced some difficulties while using Win7, if so, please share your pain.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

HI

have you looked with scope ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
Hi,
Don't have one, but this board was programmed earlier via Platform Cable and there were no problems. I am forced to use Digilent cable now. It's a bit frustrating to have all logic designed and simulated and no way to see if it really works. 
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Have you verified that all of the connections are correct between the Digilent cable and the board?  Having all ones returned is an indication that the chain isn't correct.

Cable TDI -> 1st Device TDI

Cable TDO-> last Device TDO

The Digilent website indicates that there is a V2.2 available, you could give that a try as you are using V2.1.  They don't explictly list Win7 as a supported platform.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
I followed 'Spartan-3A3AN FPGA Starter Kit Board User Guide' ( http://www.kamami.pl/dl/hw_spar3a_3an_sk_eu_g_user_guide.pdf page 98) where is said that cable is supposed to be connected to J23 header like this:
cable TMS -> board SEL
cable TDI -> board SDI
cable TDO -> board SDO
cable TCK -> board SCK
cable GND -> board GND
cable VDD -> board VDD

Next to this header, there's another one (J25), where are pins with same labels as those on cable, but guide states clearly that cable should to be connected via J23 header. Besides the ending of cable makes connecting to J25 header impossible. The only way to connect to J25 is to rotate cable so cable TMS -> board VDD ... cable VDD -> board TMS, but this would be just silly.

I've installed new version of Adept but without any luck with programming the board.
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

J23 is a SPI PROM configuration header not for JTAG configuration header for configuring the FPGA.  This explains why no device is seen when you attempted to scan the JTAG chain as there is no JTAG chain connected to this header.

You should be using the embedded USB JTAG circuitry on the board to program the FPGA.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
Alright, so here are fotos of the cable ending (sorry for the blur - effect of shaky hands and poor phone-camera):
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/image0004bg.jpg/
http://img87.imageshack.us/i/image0003x.jpg/
As you can not-so-clearly see, there's this gray (with a bit of yellow) thing (sorry, I don't know how to call it in english, not even in my mother tongue), which collides with J23 when I try to connect to J25 (which is proper header to connect in my case, right?). So what do you suggest? Should I mutilate the cable ending and get rid of this gray 'thing'?
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Hi

so it sounds like you have a board and a programmer from different companies.

If the board or programmer company don't specifically say they should work together, you need to check the pin details.

So do you have the schematic / pin info for the board and the programmer ?

Programmers quite often have flying lead attachments to cope with different boards,

BTW:with the grief your having, is it cheaper to go back to the programmer you know works ?

Second look:

Ok I've used that board, 

It has a lot of different programing options, you need to select the links to the correct place to program what you expect.

Also the programmer you have can be used for SPI prom programming or JTAG programming. 

So yo have lots of options , all that have to be in the correct way for programming to work.

Luckily, you do not need a programmer, provided you have USB on your computer,  Plug a USB lead from your computer into  the board.

Look at page 96 of the guide you show:

"Direct Programming Method
The iMPACT software supports direct programming of select SPI serial Flash. The Spartan-
3A/3AN Starter Kit board primarily supports direct programming using the embedded
USB JTAG programmer included on the board."

It shows you what to do to configure the file, how to set the links and where to plug what.

Message Edited by drjohnsmith on 21-03-2010 01:52 PM
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> As you can not-so-clearly see, there's this gray (with a bit of yellow) thing (sorry, I don't know

> how to call it in english, not even in my mother tongue), which collides with J23 when I try to

> connect to J25 (which is proper header to connect in my case, right?).

No this is not right.

You need to read the User Manual for this board which explains the configuration option.  These headers are only for programming the SPI PROM on the board and not used with to program the FPGA.

The board has a USB-JTAG "cable" built into it and you only need to connect a simple USB cable to the configuration USB port on the board.

0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
'Connecting simple USB cable to the configuration USB port' won't work because the port is broken. That's why I'm tormenting myself with Digilent cable, which btw can be used for programming - User Guide explicitly says so (page 97: 'Using a Separate JTAG Parallel Programming Cable (Optional)'). 'Direct Programming Method', as drjohnsmith kindly suggested, should work just fine. I am going to try it after fresh install of WinXP SP3 x86.
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
The "Direct Programming Method" that the user guide is referring to is for configuring the SPI PROM, not the FPGA.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Hi No_way1.....

I think I was more than anything suggesting read and folow the manual.

It's quite well written, it tells you all the different ways you can program the board,

You say the usb is broken, that is not a good sign,

mechanical or electrical ?

just wondering in case the rest of the board might be working less than perfectly.

0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor
I agree, user guide is written swell, what gets my goat is board's defiance. As for broken USB - I'm not sure what's wrong with it. My boss gave me the board, gave me the cable and said 'use this, do not use USB'. I'll continue the struggle after fresh install of XP.
0 Kudos
no_way1
Visitor
Visitor

Solution: use other cable.

I tried with platform cable II and flash is being programmed. I'm not sure what was wrong with the Digilent one, it's under tests at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sagarkasrung
Visitor
Visitor

Hi There,

I am using Windows 7 in virtual machine,

I have installed adept 2 in my vm,but it is not initialising the board.

where as in windows 10, it shows properly.

Please help me with this.

0 Kudos