UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dkurniaw
Visitor

ISE 14.7 Impact doesn't work on Win10 x64

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just upgraded my PC to Win10 64-bit and having problem with programming an older board with Spartan-3.

Impact was able to discover the FPGA & PROM, but whenever I try to program the PROM, Impact would crash.

Specs:

PC: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

SW: ISE 14.7 Impact 64-bit.

Programmer: Platform Cable USB DLC9G or Digilent

FPGA: xc3s200

PROM: xcf01s

I can do Erase, Blankcheck, Get Device ID/Checksum/Signature.

Crash when: Readback & Assign New Configuration File.

More info:

If I use Digilent, but run the 32-bit Impact version, then it works.

If I use Platform Cable and run 32-bit Impact version, then the programmer cable is not found (expected per

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ISE 14.7 Impact doesn't work on Win10 x64

Jump to solution

Hi @dkurniaw

Impact 14.7 is not officially supported with Windows 10. ISE is in maintainance mode and hence no further releases.

Few users made Impact to work with Window10 and here is the link for your reference.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/guide-getting-xilinx-ise-to-work-with-windows-8-64-bit/

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dkurniaw

Impact 14.7 is not officially supported with Windows 10. ISE is in maintainance mode and hence no further releases.

Few users made Impact to work with Window10 and here is the link for your reference.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/guide-getting-xilinx-ise-to-work-with-windows-8-64-bit/

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor dkurniaw
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks @vijayak, I got it working with some tweak since I only had Labtools installed.

I think since Xilinx doesn't support ISE anymore, you really need to add support on Vivado for the older devices.  Xilinx hasn't end of life all those devices yet. 

Using VIvado's hardware manager, I was able to see the devices in the chain, just can't program them.  Seems you're half way there.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I stumbled on this post while researching an upcoming Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

I find it pretty disappointing that Xilinx has taken this stance, and I think it is against Xilinx' best interests.  Consider these facts:

1.  Microsoft is now only providing security updates to Windows 7, and is thus essentially forcing users to upgrade to Windows 10, and to do it SOON - by the end of July 2016.

2.  Many of us have been working with devices that Vivado simply does not support.  It isn't an option.  Whether it be a case of a legacy device deployed by a smaller coroporation that does not have the resources to keep and extra development seat around, a university student, a hobbyist or a youngster just getting started, legacy devices have to exist in millions of devices, and give newcomers an affordable entry point into hardware development for your devices.  

3.  You'd rather maybe I migrate to Intel/Altera?  I can tell you I am certainly look at that option right now.  If I have to upgrade to a new device, new development board AND new tools, there is no reason not to open up my investigation. 

4.  The changes to get ISE running fully in 32 and 64 bit environments would be very modest, as one can tell from the workarounds.  But workarounds sometimes leave people with a *very* uncomfortable feeling about the future.

So why continue to anger and disappoint people when fixing it would be relatively easy?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I agree with you 100%. This situation is stupid. I had a workaround working OK on Windows10, and about a week ago my OS updated itself and I cannot get Xilinx to recognize the Platform Cable USB II any longer. Annoying as hell!

0 Kudos
Newbie mukvad

Jump to solution

Hi @dkurniaw

Could you please explain the tweaks you did get Impact to assign a configuration file.

Mukund

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, I have the same problem.

Can you (or anybody) explain that "some tweak " ?

In the directory C:\Xilinx\14.7\ 

only exists the folder "LabTools" an doesn´t exists "ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64 "

Thanks

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I got bit by this again, and now I can't remember (or find) how to get Impact working on windows 10. I did get ISE 14.7 to run, but Impact is still a problem (It can't find my Platform Cable)

Anyone willing to post the info here??

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I'm working with someone with the exact same problem, and I'm curious what "tweaks" you made to get the lab tools working on a Win10 machine.

0 Kudos
Observer mo7362
Observer

Jump to solution
0 Kudos