Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Kintex KC705 & iMPACT - "The device part "7k325tffg900" is invalid"

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to generate a .xsvf file from a bitstream targeting the Kintex KC705 evaluation board. The bitstream was generated from a design in Vivado 2015.2, and I'm using iMPACT 14.7. 

Does iMPACT support SVF/XSVF creation for modern Kintex-7 devices? Whenever I try to open the KC705 bitstream while recording to .xsvf, I get the following error message:

ERROR:Bitstream:14 - The device part "7k325tffg900" specified in the bitstream file "<file path/file.bit>" is invalid. Either the device is not supported by this software installation or the file may be corrupted and should be recreated.

This is especially confusing, considering the official Xilinx SVF generation walkthrough for iMPACT supports a 7k325tffg900...

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you have spaces in the path name?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No, there are no spaces in the path name.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

1) Please check whether the device part used for project creation and the device on the board is same or not

2) If possible please change cable and try once

3) There is also possibility of BSDL file/bit file  corrupted in your host system. Please regenerate bit file &  reload BSDL file

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@philipadavid 

Does iMPACT support SVF/XSVF creation for modern Kintex-7 devices? 

--> Yes, it does support.

ERROR:Bitstream:14 - The device part "7k325tffg900" specified in the bitstream file "<file path/file.bit>" is invalid. Either the device is not supported by this software installation or the file may be corrupted and should be recreated

--> It is possible that your bitstream might have corrupted, Can you please regenerate bitstream again? Also please do not keep spaces in path.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried creating .xsvf using a bitfile targeting 7k325tffg900. I do not find any issue. I attached the .xsvf I have generated.

Try programming the device using the .bit file you have tried to create .xsvf for. This can confirm the doubts regarding the .bit file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately it still doesn't work...

@umamahe wrote:

1) Please check whether the device part used for project creation and the device on the board is same or not

2) If possible please change cable and try once

3) There is also possibility of BSDL file/bit file  corrupted in your host system. Please regenerate bit file &  reload BSDL file

1) It is indeed the same--in Vivado I'm targeting the Kintex-7 KC705 evaulation board, which uses a xc7k325tffg900-2.

2) Unfortunately I can't change the cable (I only have a single Platform Cable with which to program over JTAG), but I'll note that the cable works fine when programming in Vivado 2015.2 (through the Hardware Manager), and it works fine when programming other 7-series devices through iMPACT.

3) I've tried regenerating the .bit file several times (testing both encrypted and non-encrypted bitstreams), and reloading the BSDL file doesn't seem to have any effect. You mean open the .bsd file in iMPACT first and THEN try progamming it with a .bit file, correct?

@pratham wrote:

@philipadavid 

Does iMPACT support SVF/XSVF creation for modern Kintex-7 devices? 

--> Yes, it does support.

ERROR:Bitstream:14 - The device part "7k325tffg900" specified in the bitstream file "<file path/file.bit>" is invalid. Either the device is not supported by this software installation or the file may be corrupted and should be recreated

--> It is possible that your bitstream might have corrupted, Can you please regenerate bitstream again? Also please do not keep spaces in path.

I've regenerated the bitstream several times with no luck. I've also made sure there are no spaces in my path, though still no luck.

@venkata wrote:

I tried creating .xsvf using a bitfile targeting 7k325tffg900. I do not find any issue. I attached the .xsvf I have generated.

Try programming the device using the .bit file you have tried to create .xsvf for. This can confirm the doubts regarding the .bit file.

I can program the KC705 just fine through Vivado 2015.2 and the Hardware Manager, but it won't let me program the device through iMPACT... even if I try programming the .bit without creating the .xsvf, it still gives an error in iMPACT.

I've attached a screenshot below that may help. Any other suggestions? My current steps are:

1. Generate the bitstream using Vivado 2015.2

2. Open iMPACT 14.7, start recording .xsvf

3. Open bitstream file generated in step (1)... error

Am I missing something?

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@venkata wrote:

One more thing... I tried programming my KC705 with the .xsvf you provided, and it succeeded! This must mean I'm missing something or doing something wrong...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Furthermore... I get the aforementioned errors when I try recording XSVF files that use Kintex- or Virtex-targeted bitstreams, but not with Zynq bitstreams (those are the three development boards I have available, and the Zynq is my main target).

Could I have forgotten to include files for other 7-series boards for iMPACT when I installed the Lab Tools? For what its worth, I can see that all 7-series devices (and more) have their .bsd files installed in Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\... Not sure why iMPACT insists that every board but the Zynq is invalid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Could it be a licensing problem, seeing as I'm developing on three different boards...? See:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Impact-license-questions-programming-a-xc6vlx240t-device/td-p/117422

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@philipadavid I dont think this problem is licensing issue. Labtools doesnt need any license to run,

Can you make sure you have directiry called kintex7 in labtools? please check screenshot and see inside directory if you have 325t files. if  these files are there can you reinstall lab tool?

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
forum.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@kkn wrote:

Hi Philip,

I think you are using impact from ISE webpack.

You will need to use impact from labtools download

https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=&cancellink=&eFrom=&eSubject=&version=14.7&akdm=1&filename=Xilinx_LabTools_14.7_1015_1.tar&local_cache=true

--Krishna

This did the trick! I had to uninstall ISE and reinstall Labtools. Not sure why this works, and seems a bit ridiculous, but I'm able to program each board now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I had the same issue while trying to config the KC705 with my already-installed webpack version of ISE 14.6.

I really wonder, why the installation of the LabTools is necessary. Especially, because right after starting the "LabTools Installer", the following message appears:

"Standalone Lab Tools are intended for use in lab environments where the complete Xilinx ISE Design Suite toolset is not required. Note: iMPACT and ChipScope are installed with all ISE Design Suite and ISE WebPACK products. The Lab Tools installation is not required if one of the ISE products has been installed."

=> So, this is just not true, is it? It seems, that it is required, although one have installed the ISE already. Because of the KC705 device is not supported by the webpack version. Annoying.

Greetings,

0 Kudos