Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Minimize Zynq 7045 configuration time using XSVF and microcontroller

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

I had successfully programmed Zynq 7045 (ZC706-board) using XSVF player provided by XAPP058 and STM32L476 (80MHz) microcontroller. ZYNQ is programmed in 37 seconds (By enabling bit stream compression Option). On the other hand, while programming ZYNQ using SVF file (running on Vivado 2018.1) it takes only about 4 seconds.Now I am trying to minimize the programming time using the XSVF. So, could you tell me how to do that or what is the bench mark for FPGA programming time using XSVF + microcontroller option ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello DrJohnSmith ,

I did as you said and I found that it was optimization issue when I turned on optimization process in compiler I got TCK frequency near 8 MHz.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello everyone ,

Any updates? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
speed to program is set by
the configuration speed
the configuration mode, in particular how wide the configuraton data stream is,
how fast you can read the stream to send

all are under your control, suggest you get out scope and see where things are slowing down,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello,

Thanks drjohnsmith for your fast response.

Here are the details of what I done so far,

1- Ported XAPP058 code to work on STM32L476 board.

2- Used QUADSPI at 40 MHz to read the XSVF file from Flash.

3- Generated XSVF file using SVF_utility (in vivado) by applying the following command

>> svf_utility -xsvf -fpga -tck_freq 10000000 -i input.svf -o output.xsvf -a output.txt

4- Everything works fine, but it takes too long time to program FPGA (37 seconds).

DrjohnsmithI checked the TCK pin toggling frequency after your suggestion and found that the frequency is about 440 KHz (while XAPP058 code is running) which is weird. If I comment the app note code (xsvfExecute()) and call "pulseClock()" function only the frequency is a bout 2 MHz. 

So, Any suggestions please?!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
Was wondering,
so TCK is coming from your processor ?
If so, you need to look at the processor code, and see where the hold up is .

Sorry, not really much we can do in the FPGA

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello DrJohnSmith ,

I did as you said and I found that it was optimization issue when I turned on optimization process in compiler I got TCK frequency near 8 MHz.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos