Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

Program FPGA without using JTAG

Hello

I am working on zynq 7 series FPGA and i have to program the FPGA and i don't have Xilinx programmer device. How to program the FPGA without using JTAG? 

Kindly guide me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

start here

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

Hello @drjohnsmith 

Thank you for your reply.

Can you explain me is this possible to program fpga using USB-UART cable?

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

Not unless the FPGA is already programmed with a bootloader that can accept UART input, or there's another chip in the chain that can handle that.

Some USB-to-serial chips can do JTAG (eg. the FT2232), but not via the Xilinx tools (at least, not easily via the Xilinx tools). You'd have to use something like OpenOCD for this. Even then, the FT2232 is a relatively expensive chip so it's not used on standard USB-UART adapters.

0 Kudos
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

Hello @u4223374 

I am working on ADRV9361-z7035 and i have to program the board with no-os application. i don't have Xilinx platform cable(JTAG programmer). So is there any other way to program the board?

waiting for your response.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

My mistake, I thought you said it was a Kintex board. With the Zynq it's much easier - you can boot from an SD card. You just need to get it partitioned and formatted correctly.

0 Kudos
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

Hello @u4223374 

I have to boot bare-metal application (no-os application) in the ADRV9361-z7035. For that I have created boot image in XSDK tool, there I have to program the fpga without using JTAG. So there is another way to program the fpga?

For SD card I have booted Linux in the board successfully but for the NO-OS application I don't have any Uimage so how can I boot this application with SD card? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

have a search on bare metal programing zynq
e.g.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/Zynq-UltraScale-MPSoC-Embedded-Design-UG1209-Video-Tutorials/ba-p/1092823

https://doc.ilabt.imec.be/ilabt/wilab/tutorials/zynq_sdr.html
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
joe4702
Contributor
Contributor

You can boot a bare metal app from the SDHC card. The ROM bootloader loads BOOT.bin from the card. Put your PL image, FSBL and bare metal app in BOOT.bin and they will get loaded automatically. I believe the ROM bootloader only loads the FSBL and then the FSBL loads your PL image and bare metal app. The only thing different when booting Linux is BOOT.bin contains u-boot (which is started by the FSBL) and u-boot then loads Linux.

0 Kudos
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

Hello @joe4702 

We have to make ADRV9361-z7035 board as standalone board that is why we want to use bare metal application in our board. We don't have Xilinx programmer and we also don't want to boot our board using SDHC card. We want to program the bare metal application and debugging it. So how many ways are there to program the FPGA?

Waiting for your response.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
pavan_619@
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello dimpy,

There are many ways for booting zynq board.
1) JTAG 2)SD card 3) SPI flash (I am not sure)

If you want use Non OS application or bare metal application JTAG method is the best situated.
if you go with any other booting technique no os code handling might be difficult.

Just for curiosity: What problem are you facing while using JTAG?

Regards

Pavan

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

your fighting the system a little,

The Zynq was designed from the start, to be a CPU that booted and then bought up the PL system.

so you need to boot, 

OK, with JTAG you can do anything including program the PL, but that's the beauty of JTAG,

look in Xilinx UG821, page 15 area.

Also in the above UG, chapter 3 gives you the different ways that a Zynq can be booted.

BUT

at the end of the day, you have selected the ADRV9361-z7035 card,

so you are limited to what that card can support,

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/ADRV9361-Z7035.html

This is a card designed and supported by Analog devices, 

I'd suggest you have a look in the analog devices very good support forums,

https://ez.analog.com/data_converters

0 Kudos
dimpy
Explorer
Explorer

0 Kudos