cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

SPI Flash Boot

Hi

I am using custom board FPGA (XC7A35T) and SPI flash device for booting (S25FL127SABMFI101)

Here FPGA is bootlading from SPI flash mode.

The question is, After programming the SPI flash, how to reset internaly or any other option in HW/SW instead manually using the Program pin to reset the FPGA.

This board has only FPGA no other external controller present to reset the device.

Thanks in advance

Sruthi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: SPI Flash Boot

I suppose what you have is a JTAG pod, you program the flash and then you want the FPGA to boot that config, right?

Well, I think the only ways are:

- The PROG_B pin, either with a button press or whatever circuitry pulls it down momentarily

- Power cycle

I've noticed sometimes booting doesn't happen if the JTAG pod is on, I always take it out 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Yes you are right, I am using JTAG pod and boot from SPI flash.

As you mentioned , I would like to go with the "PROG_B pin, circuitry pulls it down momentarily" option. 

Could you please provide any reference/example design which pulls down circuit momentrally the program pin ?

Thanks

Sruthi

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You can use ICAP to trigger reconfiguration via IPROG command. Check the following post https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Full-reprogrammation-in-HDL-equivalent-to-PROG-B/td-p/764387

-Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

@sruthi_s1 

These little hw bits I thing fall out of this forum, but anything from the good old 555 (do they still make it?) to a tiny microcontroller in SOT23, or even a witty circuit with discrete BJTs will do... it's all very custom and up to you, I feel