UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie cordawg89

Spartan 6 SPI Flash EOL Replacement

I'm looking to replace the M25P128 on a PCB with the Spartan 6 which went obsolete a while ago. Ideally I'm looking for a drop in replacement that I can swap on the bill of materials without changing the fabricated board file or modifying the FPGA code. So far I've tried the Winbond W25Q128JV as a replacement and used the W25Q128FV PROM file to program the board since that was a file we had on hand. The iMPACT tool was able to program successfully but the Spartan 6 did not work as intended (which may have been a function of burning the test board while swapping the FLASH).

1. I was wondering if there was a better drop in replacement FLASH that is currently in active status (and easy to buy in small quantities) that is better recommended to replace the M25P128. The footprint for this replacement is a WSON 8x6.

2. If the W25Q128JV is an adequate replacement, where/how would I get the correct PROM file. I mean to try and replace the component again but this time by a professional fab house so I do not accidentally destroy the PCB.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Spartan 6 SPI Flash EOL Replacement

you may try to use MT25Q flash from micron as replacement, check the following AR

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68677.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie cordawg89

That part is not easy to purchase in small quantities with short lead times. I checked Digi-Key, Newark, Arrow, Avnet, Mouser, etc for all variants over 128Mb in the WSON 8x6 footprint I needed and didn't find anything. Any other suggestions?

How can I get PROM files for newer Flash ICs? I have the Winbond -JV series in house and if I could use that it would be ideal

0 Kudos

BV version of winbond is supported. 

kindly check if JV and BV versions have the same idcode and other flash instructions are same(eg read, wirte etc) then you can go ahead and use the jv version.

also you can try to skip the idcode check in impact if the idcodes are not same, refer to the following thread

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Silicon-Devices-Others-Archived/Xapp445-direct-spi-programming/td-p/327951

0 Kudos